I have created 2 custom field with same names

Hi @Marie and @Emily_Roman

I managed to create 2 custom fields with the same name without receiving an alert.

To do this, you need:

• create a field (not shared in the library) in a 1st project
  • create the same field (still not shared in the library) in a 2nd project
  • and then edit one of the 2 fields and share it in the library.

It then becomes possible to add 2 fields with the same name in a project.
I noticed that if you launch an advanced search with a filter on the field, then you can select only one of the 2 fields even though they have the same name.

Julien
cc @Bastien_Siebman

@Julien_RENAUD,

I’m pretty sure this is expected behavior and has come up before.

This makes sense because Advanced Search only sees org-wide Custom Fields.

Larry

3 Likes

Oh i didn’t know that :+1:

1 Like

Hi @Julien_RENAUD! It seems you created an Org-wide Test field and another Test field that is only associated with the project. As @lpb mentioned, this is currently expected behavior! However, please note you will only be able to search by the field that is added to the Organization library.

3 Likes

Ok thank you to both of you, I thought Advanced Search was searching all tasks whatever the custom field you use (shared or not in the library).

This is an important point to understand why I sometimes don’t find certain tasks in my research, and it’s let’s say, a small trap :wink:

Indeed it appears but the user has to know well Asana to understand this subtlety.

1 Like

My strong advice to people is: don’t do that.

I can see nothing but confusion resulting from creating two custom fields of the same name, one organization-wide and one project-specific.

If I recall, I think the reason Asana allows it is because there are some built-in organizational dropdown list custom fields, and they didn’t want to block people from creating fields of that same name with different dropdown values.

But I still would never do it.

6 Likes

I totally agree with you, I just discovered you can have two identical fields in the same project, but of course it should be avoided :+1:

1 Like