I cannot find anywhere how to delete a dependency in Timeline

You have all kinds of info on creating dependencies but all I want to do is delete one I’ve made and I can’t figure it out and there’s nothing in your library. Thanks

2 Likes

You can remove a dependency between tasks by clicking into the task that is dependent on another task and clicking the X in the dependency header bar.

1 Like

Thank you. I knew it was probably the most simple of tasks but Asana didn’t have that one thing anywhere in the library nor searchable by the words “delete dependencies”. Thanks

1 Like

Hi Shannon,

I have dragged a dependency in the Timeline View and now I have a red line. I want to remove that dependency and so I clicked on the tasks but this dependency header bar doesn’t appear. I therefore can’t seem to get rid of the red line. Is this a bug?

Kind regards,

Brendon

Is the dependency a completed task? If so, I don’t believe it shows up on the other task. I had to “uncomplete” it, then delete dependency, then recomplete it again…

2 Likes

This works a treat - thanks!

1 Like

I cannot see any Dependency Header Bar in my Task! in any tasks!

%E2%97%8F%20GN%20SISTER%20-%20%E1%84%8C%E1%85%AE%E1%86%BC%E1%84%80%E1%85%A1%E1%86%AB%E1%84%82%E1%85%A6%E1%84%87%E1%85%B5%E1%84%80%E1%85%A6%E1%84%8B%E1%85%B5%E1%84%89%E1%85%A7%E1%86%AB%20-%20Asana%202018-10-12%2014-22-43|690x190

Hi, I just realized that the task that created the dependency cannot be completed; if that is the case, the dependency bar is not visible. So to remove the dependency I had to mark the task in the past as not completed first, and then the dependency bar on the other task became visible and I was to remove the dependency.

I just ran into this as well, because completed dependencies are not easy to remove as dependent. We must find the dependee task, uncomplete it, go to the dependent task and remove, then mark the task complete again. Kinda of a bother.

This wouldn’t be an issue, except that we’ve been hitting the dependency limits on our milestone tasks. We have a lot of pieces to go-live and this was a good way to ensure they got done, until we started hitting the limits. :frowning:

That said, Asana is AMAZING!! :slight_smile:

Hi,
I just had the same issue, and it’s not very convenient to have to incomplete the first task to delete the dependency.
@Marie Is this a desired behavior or will you change it?

Hi @Julien_RENAUD,

As it stands, it is not possible to remove a dependency directly from the Timeline. The quickest way to do it within the Timeline is to click on the dependant task to open it and delete the dependency from there.

I’m sure this is something we will improve in the future, but at this stage I don’t any precise Timeline to share. I’ll make sure to keep you posted here as soon as I do!

Thank you @Marie I knew that, but it doesn’t work if the previous task is already completed. In that case, when you click on the dependant task then the dependency is not appearing. You first have to uncomplete the first task, then the dependency appears and you remove it, and then you re-complete the first task. You should not need to uncomplete then complete the previous task, this is not convenient.

Thanks for the additional information @Julien_RENAUD, I was aware about this! Iv’e gone ahead and filed a task with our development team to confirm wether this is a bug a or a current product limitation. I’ll be in touch as soon as I have an update!

2 Likes

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing: Task B was marked as dependant on Task A. Then, Task A was completed. However, after completion Task B became no longer dependant on Task A. I need to remove the dependency to accurately reflect the relationship in my Timeline View, but Task A is no longer referenced in Task B.

Steps to reproduce: Create two tasks, one dependent on the other. Complete the first task. Attempt to remove the dependencies from the other. View relationship arrow in Timeline view.

Browser version: Chrome v77

Upload screenshots below:

2 Likes

Welcome to the Forum @Meagan :wave:and thank you for taking time to report this!

Apologies for the trouble here. You are correct. As it stands it is not possible to remove the dependency when the Task A is marked as Complete. Our Team is aware of this behaviour and is certainly something they are working on to fix, but I don’t have any precise timeline to share at the moment.

In the meantime what I recommend you to do is:

• Mark the Task A “uncomplete”
  • Go to Task B and remove the dependency
  • Mark Task A “Complete” again

I know the solution I’m providing to you is not ideal, but I hope it can help you until we bring a solution to this.

I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with an existing thread regarding this so I’ll make sure to keep you all posted as soon as I get an update in this thread. I hope it’s OK.

Have a great Friday Meagan! :grinning:

1 Like