How to trigger a rule to count number of tasks in a portfolio from a particular section?

Hello Forum, I am back with yet another question.

My team has set up a portfolio with multiple projects within it and every project follows an identical template of sections. Now I want to count the number of tasks at the section level for the entire portfolio within a timeframe. You must have guessed by now that this is to track our KPIs!

How can I do so?

I thought I could trigger a rule to count or put a specific tag, but I cannot figure it out.

Thank you for your valuable feedback!

Hey @Ravi_J,

you cannot really count tasks via rules but you can do so via creating graphs Using charts on project Dashboards to track progress | Product guide • Asana.

For example:

You can set up various filters too

I hope that helps

1 Like

Thank you @Andrea_Mayer .

My requirement is to count tasks at the portfolio level (for all the projects inside it). Is there any workaround?

One method I was thinking of is to trigger a rule to copy the task to a project and there I can create a dashboard for all the tasks there.

Hey @Ravi_J yes you can multi home tasks but you do not even have to do this because in the reporting section you can actually select various projects in one graph. See my screenshot above

Screenshot_1965

Instead of using sections, you could be using a custom field, and then sort the project on that custom field. If you “disable sort within sections” that will give you visual sections based on the custom field. And you’ll be able to do reporting on them… Does that help?

1 Like

Thank you @Bastien_Siebman !! Yes, I overcomplicated by creating sections in the board, your suggestion works very well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.