How to move tasks to a different project

How do you move already existent tasks from one project to another? I don’t want to copy the task, I just want to move them to a different project. I don’t want them live in 2 places, just the 1 project.

It seems that this option isn’t available, which becomes problematic if the tasks are already being worked on, but aren’t located in the correct project. Is there a workaround to this?

5 Likes

Hi @Sabrina_Pfeiffer. What you’re looking for is commonly called “multihoming” in Asana. You can simply add the task to another project then remove it from the project you do not want it associated with any longer.

Here’s more information on how to add a task to multiple projects: https://asana.com/guide/videos/multi-home

Once you’ve added it to the project you want it in, simply click the “x” beside the project you do not want it in to remove it from that project.

8 Likes

Hi @Sabrina_Pfeiffer

If you want a _really _quick way of moving tasks from one project to another, I’ve discovered that you can drag them straight across. Select all of the tasks you want to move, then simply drag them over to the other project in the sidebar. They’ll automatically be placed at the top of the other project, so you’ll just need to reorder them.

Done!

20 Likes

Hey @Sabrina_Pfeiffer, Michael from Asana here :wave:

These are great recommendations! Based on how you wish to use this Task, it sounds like both @Crystal_Alifanow (multi-home) & @Mark_Hudson’s(drag & drop) suggestions would work perfectly.

If you do choose to follow go the route @Crystal_Alifanow recommended, it is really important to keep her warning in mind when removing the multi-homed Task from the original project, per the screenshot she provided, rather than deleting the Task. Doing so will delete the Task from all the spaces in which it appears.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

I don’t understand. When I do this it copies the task in other project. But if I delete it, then it deletes from BOTH projects. This is enormously frustrating. Shouldn’t moving a task be a one-step deal???

5 Likes

Seriously. How do I MOVE a task? I am not going to read your documentation all afternoon (although I’ve already been through much of it).

4 Likes

@Kirsten_Loop did you try the multi-home option as described above rather than dragging and dropping?

this doesn’t work for me

1 Like

I also do not know how to move task and keep only task in new home

2 Likes

OK so i then merged to duplicate and then clicked on the x next to the project i did not want it to be in. I then made the task in the project I do want the task to be in ‘not a duplicate’ voila

FYI, the multi-home procedure will not work with a subtask. You first need to drag the subtask into its parent project to make it a regular task. Then you can multi-home it into another project.

1 Like

Hi all. I have a Multihomed task (it was created in a project that wasn’t ment to, duplicated and thus now the same task lives in two projects). The screenshots and video above mentioned represent a different version of my layout of Asana.

@Crystal_Alifanow says: " Once you’ve added it to the project you want it in, simply click the “x” beside the project you do not want it in to remove it from that project." but I cannot see that X button anywhere in my layout.

Hi Jordi1. You have to hover over the area for the buttons to appear. Here’s a screenshot of where they are located for me:
X

Note, you have to have the task in two projects for an X to appear. If the task only lives in 1 project, instead of the X you’ll see a pencil icon which allows you to “edit” the project choice.

Thanks @Crystal_Alifanow but I am not sure I have the same view of the task that you do:

Your screenshot is in the upper part of the task. My screenshot is in the lower part of the task. Look below the description box and above the historical notes.

1 Like

You are the best and I am super dumb!!

Much appreciated @Crystal_Alifanow

1 Like

Hi @Genevieve_Berold

I’m not sure why that didn’t work for you. I just tested it now and it worked fine. Description, subtasks, comment, assignee and due date were all kept intact. I just dragged the task across to the other project in the sidebar and it moved straight over.

Perhaps it depends on the package you have - did you hold anything down when you did that?

No, I just dragged it straight across. I’d be surprised if that were a premium feature, though. It might be worth getting a colleague to try it on their account, or trying a different browser. Other than that, I’d contact technical support and see if they can figure it out.

All the best.

In case this helps, to drag the task across to another project, make sure you pick the task up with the handle to the far left (with six dots). This is the same handle you would use to drag the task within the current project.

3 Likes