Tracking highlevel view across multiple Boards

Hello,

so we started out as our company to slowly use asana.
What really make it diffult for us is to keep track of the high-level view.

We have now around 30 boards. Some are more important, some are less important, some are templates only, some are actually subboards of certain projects.

So we would love to have:

High-Level - Board: Marketing
2nd Level Board (Subboard of Marketing): SEO
3rd Level Board (Subboard of SEO): Onpage Optimization
4th Level: Task within Onpage Optimization
5th Level: Subtask of Tasks

Currently we have only 3 Levels.
So how to create this high level view?

With Favourites we tried but it only gives us half an extra high-level.

Especially when a checklist for a template is displayed the same size & category as the more important board ā€œSEOā€, then it get messy.

Cheers
Torge

I am wondering if @Mark_Hudson can provide an answer I think he does this very well in his company

1 Like

Thanks for the vote of confidence, @Bastien_Siebman, but Iā€™m actually a bit lost on this one!

@Torge_Janiesch, are you looking to set all of this up through advanced search reports? I was thinking that you could use custom fields to identify all of the different tasks relating to those levels, then build reports based on that. It gets trickier when you come to subtasks, which is why I tend not to use them.

1 Like

Hey Mark,

hmmm never used advanced search.
I just tried it, but it seems like it doesnt solve what we are looking for.

Maybe you can give me a perspective on how to keep track of all the boards / project as a head manager?

If I want to keep an overview of everything whats going on in either my company or my departureā€¦ and there are Topics in the Marketing Team like
SE0
Social Media
PR
Content

and then within e.g.
SEO

• Backlink creation
  • SEO Texts
  • Onpage Optimization
  • etc.

or on a even higher level:

• Business Development
  • IT
  • Marketing
  • Sales
  • Accounting
    etc.

How to keep track of whats going on?

When a board is displayed the same size if it is called
ā€œSEO generallā€ or this one ā€œChecklist for SEO Text Optimizationā€
then its hard to understand, which of the projects should a Head Manager look at, and which of the project only interest the specific SEO-Texter?

Its super hard to distinguish between boards and you cant do subboards.

So how to keep the high level view within asana?

Cheers
Torge

What is it you want to see in your high-level overviews? Amount of tasks (incompled/completed/all?) or just planning or something else?

For numbers you can use dashboards per project and have those on a meaningfull order in your dashboard overview, or even in Google Sheets if you like (combined or separate).

For planning, you could look at the team calendars.

Another thing is to set up a ā€˜project boardā€™ in which you just create tasks that are the names of the projects you have an then link them to the specific project. For example create a board with columns (or list if you like) with the different divisions, create tasks for the (big) projects they are doing, (SEO would be one) and then have it linked to that project with itā€™s own tasks.

Using tags is also a possibility, but you can only tag on a (sub)task level, not on a project level. I really like to be able to ā€˜tagā€™ a project, not just its tasks (but that is a whole other story)

2 Likes

The way I was thinking of using Advanced Search is to apply a custom field to all of the tasks relevant to SEO. You can then run an Advanced Search for any task associated with that custom field and organise the results by due date, assignee, project, etc. Thatā€™s one simple example, but you can go further.

The way Iā€™ve been doing it so far is to build a large Advanced Search report, where I add all of the projects in which Iā€™m interested into the ā€˜In projectsā€™ section. I then export that search to CSV and build a detailed Power BI report, which my team leader can analyse more closely.

However, I recently requested that the ā€˜Sync to Google Sheetsā€™ option be added to our account, so now I can export all of the data directly to Google Sheets and build the Power BI report from that. Itā€™s automated, so it saves a couple of steps and quite a lot of time.

If you canā€™t be bothered with setting all of that up, the Dashboard report is a good source of information too.

If you really want some specific, professional help, you could purchase a Customer Success package, or have a look here: http://productivity-experts.com/.

1 Like

Hello, how do you ā€œlink the project to the taskā€ on the board? Are you adding the task to a current project?

Hi @Shannon_Guilford, you can copy the project URL and paste that into the specific task. This is quite simple to do. With the project click on the three dots ā€¦ and select Copy Project URL. Then the rest is just copy pasting.

Good luck

Hi @Shannon_Guilford - in addition to what @Joost mentioned above, you can also type ā€œ@ā€ in the description of a task, then start typing the first few letters of the project you want to link to.

It sounds like what Joost is suggesting is a New Project called ā€œProject Listā€ or ā€œProject Boardā€. This will essentially be your ā€œmasterā€ reference Project, linking off to each smaller project. Think of it like a Table of Contents for your Asana.

In this New Project, youā€™ll create a Task for each Project, and link to that project in the Task Description.

Hereā€™s a screenshot of how that might look:

3 Likes