How to create the same task, but with 3 different prefixes to the task name?

I have a typical use case.

Add a small feature as a task such as “Add password field to login page”, but currently I have to create three tasks manually and add a prefix or postfix to declare whether it’s an Android, Web, or iOS task. What’s the best way to automate this?

In a perfect world, I’d be able to create a “Multiplatform Task” template, and then I write “Add password field to login page” and upon hitting enter I get three tasks that are made like:

“Android - Add password field to login page”
“iOS - Add password field to login page”
“Web - Add password field to login page”

By using Zapier or an equivalent, you could do something like this. Would it be acceptable?

@Idle_Idle,

You could do this with subtasks (1) Android, 2) iOS, 3) Web) of a shared parent task (Add password field to login page). by either using a) Task Templates, or b) Rules with the Subtasks action.

The subtasks will always show their parent context (Android < Add password field to login page) and the parent task is just a click away and would provide an option for a comment thread about the feature as a whole regardless of platform.

Larry

1 Like

Don’t use (or know what Zapier is). I’ll look it up. Is it a plugin or automation system?

My issue with subtasks is that you can’t move them individually across a board. I have a todo, in progress, done columns, and so it’s important for the android team (for example) to show they are in progress, while iOS is todo, and web is done.

I have thought about subtasks though…

1 Like

I understand that objective, @Idle_Idle. It may be getting to be too much for you but you can home the subtasks themselves into the parent project so that you could move them among the Kanban columns individually.

If you wanted to try that, the task templates alternative allows you pre-designate the homing in the parent project so no extra work required. Asana’s rules/subtasks was released without this capability (but @Phil_Seeman’s great flowsana.net has it).

Larry

2 Likes

“you can home the subtasks themselves into the parent project so that you could move them among the Kanban columns individually.”

By this… you mean just creating regular tasks right?

That’s basically what I’m doing now. I create 3 tasks manually, and name them

“Android - Add password field to login page”
“iOS - Add password field to login page”
“Web - Add password field to login page”
and create them in the TODO column.

All I would like to automate is the creation of these so that I can type in the name, and then asana would know to prefix the name with (Android), (iOS) and (Web).

From what it sounds like, this isn’t possible with asana?

No, that’s not what I’m describing. What I’m describing is: Start with what I described in my first reply, then add on to that the subtask homing I described in my second reply.

That approach lets you create a task once from a task template with three subtasks which will then appear in the main projects as Android < Add password field to login page and the other two similarly.

Larry

No idea what subtask homing is. I’ll look it up.

Sorry for the jargon; it just means to use “Add to Project” (Tab+P) when looking at the subtask in the right task detail pane in order to make it confusingly, but in your case maybe helpfully, visible as a task in this project (in addition to as a subtask).

OHHH. Okay. So the only thing that makes a card appear on a board view, seems to be the fact when its set to a project. So if I assign all of my subtasks to a project, then they show up on the board.

Okay. That’s definitely a possibility.

So basically the first option I have is to create a task template of a task, with 3 subtasks and then manually assign each one to the board. I wish this could be a bit more automated (doesnt seem that subtask homing gets saved with a task template), but this is better than before.

Regarding: “Rules with the Subtasks action” I suppose I need a business account to do anything more complex with rules, since I don’t see anything like this available.

You can specify project for each subtask in the task template. For each one, click the right arrow icon at the far right of the subtask, then when viewing that subtask detail type Tab+P to add the project. Do for each of the three platform subtasks. Once that’s set up a single time, for every task you create with the template, you need only change the parent task title.

And yes, custom rules are for Business and Enterprise only.

Larry

Thanks. I unfortunately can’t get the template to incorporate the fact that my subtasks are attached to my project. Are you sure that the project set to a subtask gets saved as a task template?

Yes. See series below…

Hit the right arrow above (it’s not a bubble as I suggested before) to go to subtask detail.

Larry

2 Likes

Aha. Thanks for the screenshots. I was creating the task template with the project set on the task and subtasks, and then clicking “Create task template”. If I instead go to “Customize” > “Add template”, then I can create the subtasks and add the project to each, then save and it’ll work there.

So the issue was/is that there’s two ways to create. One way holds those change and the other doesn’t. Thanks @lpb I think that’ll get me enough of what I need. Cheers

1 Like

I didn’t realize Asana was inconsistent in the two ways to create a task template; thanks for pointing that out. I wish Asana would be more diligent in making the product work as expected, or offer warnings before the fact, or errors after the fact, or document, but I’m sorry to say new features now seem to regularly be left with anomalies that cause confusion and are left unaddressed.

Glad you persisted and this alternative solution may prove useful.

Larry

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.