How the Customer Success team at Asana uses Asana

This is a post in our “how Asana uses Asana” series! Our first post describes how Asana’s Marketing Team uses Asana.

How Asana’s Customer Success Team Uses Asana

Asana’s Customer Success team is organized into four sub-teams, including the Scaled team, which creates scalable customer resources like newsletters, webinars, and this online Community :sparkles:.

Three ways we use Asana:

A) Our Customer Success team and sub-teams stay on the same page by creating Roadmaps and launch plans in Asana including individual project roadmaps and master team roadmaps that include objectives and reference timelines.
Example:

B) Our Customer Success team keeps things organized by keeping a list of reference projects or a “project portfolio” where we can easily identify where to find the projects each person/group is working on. We also tend to keep high level objectives at the top of these (and other) projects.
Example:

C) Our Customer Success team also has a reference task and/or outreach task for each of our Customers. Each reference task includes high level information about the customer and the task is owned by the CSM. In addition to keeping these tasks as reference, we often create a sequence of outreach steps as subtasks. While we have transitioned much of our customer information over to Salesforce, we do keep these tasks as reference and they help keep us accountable.
Example:

Let us know if you have any questions :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Love the post @Alexis. The roadmap is very helpful.

1 Like

Thank you @Alexis this is very helpful especially for new users like myself. Please do more in the future! A few quick questions.

1. Can you tell me what “priority el” and “priority co” are? I ask because for my own company we’re struggling with the idea of having different types of priorities. Some tasks are a priority for the completion of a project, while other tasks are a priority for the company in a more big picture way. I was wondering if that’s what you’re trying to achieve here with the multiple priority custom fields.

2. I’m intrigued with the idea of a project portfolio. For example, in your second screenshot, under “Operations”, is “Launch Customer Onboarding 2.0” a project? And is that project automatically added to this screen when the project was created? Or do you manually add it here? If there’s more places to learn more about the project portfolio idea please let me know. We are desperate for a way to keep track of projects for everyone (especially since there’s no folders in Asana).

If it helps, we’re a recent convert from Teamwork (in case you know that platform and can explain things in Teamwork context). Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Crane29! Glad to know this type of post is helpful to you. Regarding your questions:

• I can sympathize with struggling to define differing priorities. The priority fields you see here simply demonstrate how we can use custom fields to indicate varying levels of priority. In this example, you might have priority - team 1, priority - team 2. You could also, as you mention, use one custom field for company priority (adds context so the team can see where the project fits into greater work) and another for priority against other team projects.
  • Yes, in the second screenshot, “Launch Customer Onboarding 2.0” is a task with the name of the project. We cannot create a task that literally links to the project in its title, but we can create a task with the project title and then in the task description add a link to the actual project. You can find more info here! Creating a Reference Project in Asana - #31 by Alexis
1 Like

This is such a game changer. We’ve started to do this over the weekend as you suggested and now we are able to track projects in so many ways.

We create the task within the project it is referencing to, so it is easy to update for people who are only working in that project and don’t need to see the reference project.

1 Like

So glad to hear it! :star_struck: