How do you change the colour of team members names

Hi,
Just wondering how to change the colour of my initials symbol as I currently have the same colour as someone else on my Team.
Thanks

1 Like

Hi @emma4

I don’t think there’s a way to do it in Asana’s UI, so I just created mine in Paint:

It also means you can have whatever font you want. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey @emma4, welcome to the Community Forum :confetti_ball:

Thank you for this great question. Our system creates these initials automatically based on the user name and the colour is also automatically chosen.

Just as @Mark_Hudson has mentioned a possible solution here would be to create a new profile picture showing your initials and/or a different colour.

You can easily update your profile picture following these steps here.

I hope this helps, have a great Monday!

1 Like

Hi @Edda
Could you please explain why the colors are same for two of four team members?

9 Likes

I’m brand new to this product and this glaring bug/oversight is making me think I should keep looking for an app that pays more attention to the user experience.

5 Likes

Count me in on the glaring oversight committee. Every person on my team is pink, purple, or teal. it’s like corralling easter eggs in a sea of missed user experiences. Boo.

5 Likes

Another vote for a fix. This is super annoying and makes the product less useful.

4 Likes

Another vote for a fix. Thanks!

3 Likes

Agreed, please fix.

1 Like

In my humble opinion, Asana works better with humans.
And adding a real profile picture is bringing a great human touch in your daily interactions with others.
If your company allows it, I would advise trying it :slight_smile:

Click on your profile on top right > My settings > Your photo > Upload new photo

:woman_office_worker: > :robot:

1 Like

Agreed, @Arthur_BEGOU using actual portrait photos, preferably with a solid background, is the way to go! :+1:

1 Like

Another vote for this. Doesn’t make sense to have members of the same team with the same colour. Initials is actually our favoured approach as it’s super quick to identify someone as MT, OD, RG etc. rather than deciphering teeny-tiny image pictures. And real pictures are inconsistent with the rest of the co-ordinated colour palettes of Asana.

1 Like

Another vote for a fix. We have someone with the same color AND initials. Makes things confusing.

1 Like

Hi @Jacob_Knight , welcome to the forum :wave:

I’m just curious, why can’t you and your team members upload your profile photos as Asana intended? I believe the coloured circles with your initials are just meant to be temporary.

As I tell all my clients that I consult: a profile photo in Asana can make you instantly recognizable. You wouldn’t have a LinkedIn account without your profile photo, right? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@Richard_Sather I disagree. Most Asana users I work with have it zoomed out to 80-90% to fit more on screen. Initials are very easily visible, pictures are not. Moreover, pictures can have extremely inconsistent take-up. Here are some very real scenarios:

• Users do not have images of themselves
  • Users do not want to use images of themselves, causing inconsistent take-up
  • Guest users don’t bother or see no reason why
  • Cannot create uniform imagery – some are professional headshots, some are fun, some are black and white, some are colour
  • Some users upload images, some refuse, resulting in a blend of images and initials (even worse)
  • Trying to get 100 users to all upload images without mandatory company directive? No chance

Why can projects have their colour coding changed, but not users? It doesn’t seem like a complex change, but it’s very beneficial for a large number of typical scenarios.

1 Like

I did this. It’s easy and looks professional.
Thank you.

1 Like

@Ronan_Gay I totally agree, there is too much room for inconsistency with photos.
We are a construction company with a wide range of staff levels and subcontractor guests, all viewing Asana from various devices, from Phones to the boardroom display.
The colours and Initials are the cleanest way for everyone to be able to see who they are communicating with.