How do I set Asana to automatically trigger due date creation upon completion of other tasks?

Went looking for this feature and it’s very disappointing that it’s been ignored for years.

1 Like

What is the status of implementing a date triggering feature?

2 Likes

@Alexis when utilizing your “sort-by-date-range then ctrl+shift+down-arrow” trick, which is very nifty, I find that Asana processing breaks when trying to do this over more than a couple tasks at a time.

For example, if I have 20 tasks that are all on a timeline and synced, and I want to adjust the “start” date of the timeline, I follow your trick, but then Asana times out and says " Trying to reconnect. Changes will be synced once your connection is restored."

Do you have any idea about how to avoid this breaking? it seems like this trick is more than Asana can handle

Thanks -

Andrew

Hi folks,

Closing this tread as this is now something you can achieve with Rules using the following trigger/action combination: Task marked complete > Set due date X days n the future

To learn more about Rules, you can also have a look at this handy article, and of course, you’re always more than welcome to ask questions here in our community! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your suggestion is to have the due date match the completion date by using “0” in the field, correct?

Actually I don’t think the appropriate rule trigger to fulfill the request in this thread is “Task marked complete”; I think the correct trigger is “Dependent task is no longer waiting”. (Note that this rule is only available for Business-level subscribers.)

Yes, with the trigger I mentioned, you should be able to put a “0” to have it set the due date to the same day that the “task is no longer waiting” - because the reason it’s no longer waiting would be that all of its dependencies have been marked complete.

1 Like

Hi Marie,

When I have tried this in Asana the only due date that changes is the one for the task marked completed (ie. if I have two tasks, A and B, and B is dependent on A, I mark A complete and then the due date for A changes).

How do I connect this rule to dependent tasks?

Hi @Brendan_Tinoco and welcome to the forum!

See my post just above:

I don’t think the appropriate rule trigger to fulfill the request in this thread is “Task marked complete”; I think the correct trigger is “Dependent task is no longer waiting”.

1 Like

Ah! This is it, thank you! Do you know if it is possible to set up multiple triggers or conditions that could trigger a similar rule? Ie. if I have a series of tasks (A, B, C, D) where B is dependent on A and D is dependent on C, can I have it set up so that if task A is completed then B’s due date is updated to 7 days later, while if task C is completed then D’s due date is updated to 4 days later?

2 Likes

No, I’m afraid not. Asana does not support multiple conditions that might allow you to distinguish the A/B set from the C/D set.

The only way I know to accomplish it is with the Dynamic Duration workflow type in my Flowsana integration :slight_smile:. It includes a Lag Time feature, which in your case you would set to 7 days for Task B and 4 days for Task D.

2 Likes