How do I copy or duplicate a column

Hello,
How do I copy or duplicate an entire column (with all the tasks i created)? Basically, all the columns are months, and only the column name will change and the due dates obviously, but i wish to keep all the same tasks. I want to avoid having to copy tasks one by one into the 12 columns i will be creating…
thanks!

Copying a column

One trick would be to add those months to another project called “2017” (then they belong to two projects) and then duplicate the project into “2018” and add the 2018 tasks to the original project. Does it make sense?

Hi @Pascale_Ouimet! To add to what @Bastien_Siebman already said, you could also create a template (https://asana.com/guide/help/projects/templates) and create a copy from your template every year. Ths way you would only need to add due dates. If you’re not Premium, templates won’t be available to you but you could create a “Template” project and create a copy (https://asana.com/guide/help/projects/actions#gl-copy-project) of this “Template project” every year. Let us know if you have any questions! :slight_smile:

Yes that makes perfect sense. I guess it’s not as ideal as simply duplicating a column per say but it’s easier then copying each task for every column.
Thank you!

I also would love this feature. I think it’s crazy that it’s not possible. Seems such a simple feature to me! Asana is amazing in so many respects but then to have certain extremely simple features like this missing is just madness!

I would also really love this feature. I am a video series producer, and I want to create identical columns for each episode that have the same tasks (just different due dates). It would really be helpful to have all the columns in the same project so that I can see a whole season in one view.

Hello,

I use the non premium version and I was wondering if there was a way to copy a entire column. I know I can copy a task and drag it over to the column but when setting up each group under my project I would like to copy the master column and task instead of doing it task by task. Thanks!

I thought there might be a way to do this with Advanced Search and the new “Search by Column” feature and then multi-selecting all tasks in the results. It turns out if you select more than one task, you don’t get the “Copy” choice.

It would seem one-by-one is the only way unless someone else can think of a different way.

You coud multi-home the tasks of the column in a common project. Then duplicate the project. And move the tasks to a new column… :sweat_smile:

Bastien
Asana Certified Pro, consultant, author and developer

HI guys! We already have a thread on this topic in the #productfeedback category, so I have gone ahead and merged this thread with it; feel free to hit the “vote” button on this main thread to add your vote to this feature request!