How do I completely remove a team member?

Hi guys! Just merging this thread with How do I completely remove a team member? - #25 to avoid duplicates!

What if you don’t want to invite someone to a team just to delete them?

With the free version they are still part of “My Company”, but I don’t want to have the user know they are being deleted.

I also don’t want to contact them to tell them and do not want them getting emails with updates of tasks within the company.

This was very helpful. Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Zane and apologies for the late follow-up! If you’re working with a Workspace (“My Company”), you don’t need to add members to a team in order to delete them from your Workspace; you can simply follow these steps instead: Workspace basics | Product guide • Asana Product Guide. Hope this helps!

Hello Miracle,

I ran into this issue recently. And if you are (like me) unable to find the user in any teams / tasks.
Try this:

• Add a new team in Asana - Let’s call this ‘Removals Team’
  1. *Now click on Manage Team Members image
    • Cancel Invite / Remove depeds if the user was invited and never signed in - you will see Cancel Invite. If they existed, you will see Remove .
    • Remove Access and then finally deprovision.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

In the quick search dropdown I still can see former users not in the team anymore and with no tasks, even archived, assigned to them. How can I remove them?

Hi @Francesco_Canovi;

We already have a thread on this topic; I’d advise you to take a look at this post in which I detail the steps to follow to remove a user from your Organization.

If you have any follow-up questions, please let me know!

1 Like

Thanks so much for the trick ! It worked !!! I was looking for this since last year and thanks to your trick i finally removed completely an old co-worker from the organisation. Thanks so much !

1 Like

Yes, this is the best way to deprovision a team member who is already removed from all teams, and remove them from the organization completely and permanently. Thank you.

Hi Marie, resend an invite is not an option. Also because the person will not accept the invitation. How can we remove and do deprovision ? I really need to remove permanently from dropdown. thank you

HI @Luca_Scrivanti;

Could you please share a litte more details on your situation? Has the person you’re trying to remove not accepted your invite yet?

Hi Marie,

situation is the same as described in this topic.

Need to remove and do deprovision as described in the topic.

I removed in the past the user from the project/team but didn’t know there was also the deprovision step.

I cannot invite the person because there is no way will accept the invitation as collaboration has ended.
I think this is common as working relationships could end.

How can we remove and do deprovision without invite back a user ?

thank you

Luca

Thanks @Luca_Scrivanti,

They do not need to accept the invite for you to remove them, so don’t worry about that :slight_smile:

I would also recommend you to take a look at this article with additional info and screenshots: Setting up an organization in Asana | Product guide • Asana Product Guide

Hope this helps!

This is completely stupid. I am brand new to Asana. I don’t even know what level membership I have (I paid, but not the most). I shouldn’t have to read a long page to figure out how to do something as simple as deleting a person. I have no idea if I have a team or organization or whatever. I should be able to easily click on the person’s name and DELETE. That should not be complicated. I do not want to read a bunch of pages to learn how to make that happen, and I shouldn’t have to do so. This makes me want to stop before I’ve even started. Can you please ask your coding team to make this easier? I mean, I use tons of online platforms, and deleting an entry is usually very simple. This is extremely, extremely frustrating.

8 Likes

This is TOTALLY confusing and not at all intuitive. I have to create a new team to delete someone? Does that even make sense to you? It doesn’t to me. I’m extremely frustrated. Deleting a team member (or even editing their email, which is what I’m actually trying to do) should not be difficult.

13 Likes