How do I completely remove a team member?

Hi! So, when I created the organization for my company I found out that a former employee had created an Asana organization under our domain and never actually used it or even told anyone about it. I managed to “rescue” our Organization, clean it out and start over. But I keep seeing every user ever - every person who’s had an email on our domain - even though they have been removed. I can’t find a way to deprovision people who are not on the member list to begin with, but they show up on search and task assignment. Any help?

Hi @Leticia_Magalhaes,

Thanks for describing your situation in such detail! We’ll need to learn more background information to help you with this issue. Due to the sensitive nature of the information, our support team will be happy to help! Please send these details to Asana Support - Help Center • Asana :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Alexis

Hello Kevin, this is very good tutortial. Unfortunatelly I already deleted several users which left the organization, but they still have assigned some tasks and cann still read it. Is there any way how to deprovision already deleted users? thank you

1 Like

Hi @Jirik_Asana - we’d be happy to help! However, to answer this we’d need more information about your account that we don’t want exposed here in the public Community. I encourage you to reach out to Asana Support - Help Center • Asana with this question and they’ll be happy to help!

I am having the same issue. I added 10 people to a project who do not not have an associated domain email address, but instead I added them to the project using a gmail.com address. That project is over and all of the people have been removed but I continue to see them in the dropdown list when I go to assign a task. The dropdown list is pretty unmanageable this way and slows me down significantly. Can someone help me delete these entries from the dropdown list? Thank you!

1 Like

Hi @Susanne_Goldstein! Sounds like you have removed these members from your Team but not from the Organization itself. Try following these steps to remove them completely from the Organization.

1. Create a new Team in your Organization (How to Create, Join, and Manage teams in Asana | Product guide • Asana Product Guide) and add all the members you’re looking to remove
  2. Access the Team you just created and navigate to the Members tab
  3. Invite the people you want to remove from the Org: How to Create, Join, and Manage teams in Asana | Product guide • Asana Product Guide

Once you’re sure the members you’re looking to remove have been added to your team, simply follow the 4 steps below to fully remove them from your Organization:

1. Head over to your Team Member’s list and use your mouse to hover over their name
  2. Click Remove
  3. Then, click Remove Access
  4. Finally, click Deprovision

Note that it is 3 clicks: Remove > Remove Access > Deprovision

The second click removes the person from the team, and the third click fully removes them from your Organization. If you need to, you can also refer to the GIF in this article: Setting up an organization in Asana | Product guide • Asana Product Guide
Hope this helps!

11 Likes

Hi Marie -
Thanks for this. I followed it to the letter. Did everything you suggested and deprovisioned everyone. Then I cleared my browser history. No luck. All of the names that I just removed still show up in the Assignment dropdown list.

I thought maybe it was a browser thing, so I opened a fresh instance of Asana in another web browser and still had the same issue – all of the names still in the dropdown.

Other thoughts?

Thanks!
Susanne

1 Like

Marie- One other thing: When I added all of those people to my new “test team” they all got an email notification and were wondering why I added them to a new team. Argh!!

1 Like

So sorry for the trouble @Suzanne_Nelson! Just dropped you a DM to follow-up on this, have a look at your Inbox!

1 Like

Hi Marie. Same exact problem as Susanne_Goldstein here.

Background: I had a few outside-org email addresses invited into my projects whom are all now removed. Unfortunately I did not “deprovison” them initially, hence not able to pull them back up in my team members screen.

Tested: I followed your above instructions by creating a new “test team” and invited back my personal Gmail address as a team member, which at one point was a team member. Once the team was created, I was able to Remove, Remove Access, then Deprovision this account, successfully removing it from the auto-drop-down list. However, as Susanne_Goldstein confirmed, an invitation email went out to my personal email during the process.

Question: What should I do if I don’t want invitations to go out to everyone who has at one point belonged in my projects, but now I’m having to invite them back only to revoke their access again? Any other way to accomplish “deprovisioning” without inviting people back?

1 Like

Originally replied to an existing thread, but wanted to expose it as a new post, in case someone else might be able to shed light on the subject:

Hi Marie. Same exact problem as Susanne_Goldstein here.

Background: I had a few outside-org email addresses invited into my projects whom are all now removed. Unfortunately I did not “deprovison” them initially, hence not able to pull them back up in my team members screen.

Tested: I followed your above instructions by creating a new “test team” and invited back my personal Gmail address as a team member, which at one point was a team member. Once the team was created, I was able to Remove, Remove Access, then Deprovision this account, successfully removing it from the auto-drop-down list. However, as Susanne_Goldstein confirmed, an invitation email went out to my personal email during the process.

Question: What should I do if I don’t want invitations to go out to everyone who has at one point belonged in my projects, but now I’m having to invite them back only to revoke their access again? Any other way to accomplish “deprovisioning” without inviting people back?

Hi @Phil_Sung. Can you please write in to Asana Support - Help Center • Asana ? We can better assist you there! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Of course. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi Michelle, I had the same problem. Reinviting the person and a second round of ‘Remove > Remove Access > Deprovision’ solved it for me. The person no longer appears in the dropdown.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing @Florian_Buerki!

My colleague who has created asana for our company is no longer active. I want to delete this account from asana now. How can I do this?

If I remember well with the free version, the member you want to remove has to be in a team you have access to.

Then 2 cases:

• you are already both members of a common team, then ok
  • or you need to invite that member “temporarily” to a team you’re member of

Once you are in a same team, you can access to the team’s member list, you select “remove” next to the member’s name you want to remove access, then “remove access”. If you stop now you just remove the member from the team, but at this moment you can select “deprovision” and the member will be removed from the whole organisation.

2 Likes

Hi Julien,

It works exactly as you explained it. I have added the user to a team for a while and after that the access has been withdrawn and removed.

Thank you for the assistance!

2 Likes

Hi guys! Just merging this thread with How do I completely remove a team member? - #33 by Florian_Buerki :slight_smile:

Creating a new team to delete old members was the only solution that worked for me, which is really strange. Also, if you forget to click “deprovision”, you have to repeat the entire process. A simple list of provisioned members would solve this entire thread of questions.

5 Likes