How are your new year's resolutions going?

It has been 16 days since January 1st, so 16 days since many of us started working on our new year’s resolutions. Haven’t started working on yours yet? It’s not too late!

Tell us how things are going with your resolutions or what you still hope to work on. We can be each other’s cheerleaders :slight_smile:

As for me, I’ve been meditating! I have meditated every morning and since January 1st :tada: I’ve also been listening to a sleep meditation (a meditation to fall asleep) on weekdays, but haven’t found consistency on weekends yet. There’s still time!

3 Likes

I started meditating every day but the time slot I chose did not suit our family dynamic so I am back to square one with no meditation :frowning:

3 Likes

I decided that this year, I’m going to try and be more engaged in our finances. We tend to put our savings in an account which has high interest at first, and then the interest rate drops and we just leave our money sitting there for years because we can’t face the hassle of switching to a different one. Accounting is so boring!

This year, I’m going to try and be slightly more interested in that kind of thing. I haven’t actually started yet but this thread has given me a nudge. This weekend I’ll start thinking about it. :sleeping:

2 Likes

In my family we are doing envelope budgeting. We have about 10-15 differents accounts, each one having a specific purpose (retirement, kid #1, kid #2, holidays, emergency…). I can’t imagine looking at the rates to optimize :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Wow! That’s a whole other level of complexity that I just couldn’t deal with! :smile: Luckily, we don’t have too many accounts. The main thing is going to be figuring out how much on average we spend each month on food, utilities, etc. We only have a vague notion at the moment. We know that stuff comes out of the joint account, and that we earn enough money to cover it. Beyond that, it’s all a bit of a mystery. A desperately tedious mystery.

I have an Asana project with each account, and for each one I have the balance and how much I should transfer on it when salaries come in. So at the end of the month, a recurring task is telling me its time and I do all the transfers into saving accounts. And then I spend what is left, not the other way around :stuck_out_tongue: you should try it :+1:

1 Like

This is inspired! I never thought to use recurring tasks that way. I’m going to ponder it and see if I can do a smaller scale version. Thanks, Bastien! :+1:

3 Likes

@Bastien_Siebman I just started using headspace.com and I love it! It helps me get even 5 minutes in and helps me reset when things get crazy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Bastien_Siebman and @Mark_Hudson you’re inspiring me to think more about strategically managing my own finances! :sweat_smile: Tedious indeed.

And @Amy_Mitchell I know so many people who love Headspace! @Kaitie is one of those people - she and I have discussed this recently, actually. I myself prefer the Calm meditation app over Headspace. I upgraded to the premium version of Calm and enjoy the extended and timed meditation options, in addition to the background audio. There’s something about the blue color theme in the Calm app that’s very soothing to me, whereas the orange in the Headspace app feels harsh and the interface makes it feel too gamified / let’s compete / build your stats - y for me. That said, if Calm weren’t out there I’d probably use it! I much prefer guided meditation to un-guided meditation.

3 Likes