Holiday/Leave/Block off time - either as PTO, Holiday, or all day task

Flowsana does support skipping weekends but not yet holidays. Support for taking holidays into account is on the product roadmap.

I hadn’t thought about incorporating that into a rule but I suppose once Flowsana has knowledge of a user’s holidays, I could have a rule condition “If this task falls on a holiday”. Good idea, Bastien!

1 Like

You could take as input an array of dates and let users deal with the holiday list.

It would be REALLY helpful if team members were able to enter their schedules into Asana, so project managers would not schedule tasks for days when team members are out of the office. Is this a possibility in the future? It would save a lot of effort…

14 Likes

Hi @Erin_Pittman Erin, great ideia!
Currently you can enter a unique away date range in your profile.
There’s a great article that shows this step by step and has others tips for vacation time in the Asana Blog: 4 Things to add to your out of office prep checklist

3 Likes

Hi @Erin_Pittman and @Neyl :wave:t3:

We have a great thread on this topic :point_right:Holiday/Leave/Block off time - either as PTO, Holiday, or all day task so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with this existing thread to gather all feedback and votes in one thread!

At Asana, to work around this issue we create a project that’s home to Tasks with titles that schedule vacation days (ex: Marie OOO July 1 to 8) to help our Team stay on track. This allows our team to reference who is out of the office and at what times, which we police ourselves. I know it’s not ideal, but you might find it useful to until we come up with a built-in solution! I’ll make sure to keep you all posted here when I have some updates on this topic!

4 Likes

+1 for this. Particularly when looking at workload in your portfolio.

While you can schedule in a leave day “tasks”, the workload/timeline does not account for this and suggests capacity is exceeded (having still allocated other tasks to the leave day).

Further, some people in my team only work 4 days a week. So their capacity needs to be defined by both days of week + hours per day.

Cheers.

6 Likes

Feature: Deadlines can’t be made or (at least) a prompt happens on holidays. Ideally these “smart” deadlines" would be roped to the country the assignee is based in, i.e., July 1st is a holiday for Canada, July 4th is a holiday for USA, etc.

Use case: I work on a team that is distributed across two continents and five countries. Additionally, my team works with MANY external collaborators in many more countries. We often set deadlines both internally and externally on days that end up being holidays for our colleagues. This then requires a follow-up as to why all deadlines need to be shifted (usually by the assignee) and then another follow-up by the assigner with the newly proposed deadlines.

Impact: This would substantially reduce the amount of time spent communicating about deadlines and increase the amount of time available to do actual work. Furthermore, it would help us emphasize with our external collaborators, who are in different countries (with different cultures) than us by ensuring that we are at least aware of possible limitations on their time.

An additional (nice-to-have) attribute of this feature would be the ability to turn on and off weekend deadlines for specific assignees. This too should be roped to country as some countries have Saturday-Sunday weekends, some have Friday-Saturday, etc.

5 Likes

Hi @Becca_Robins and thank you so much for sharing this great feedback with us and for taking the time to provide us with some context, we really appreciate it!

There is an existing thread regarding this topic in the Forum so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with this main thread to consolidate feedback and votes about it!

I would also recommend you to have a look at this guide article which you might find useful: 4 Things to add to your out of office prep checklist

I hope this helps in the meantime! Have a great weekend!

I agree, we need to have a future holiday indicator which prevents a task from being assigned (customized by each user). Currently, the vacation indicator only shows an alert if that person is currently on vacation, not for future scheduled vacations.

2 Likes

Another vote for this. We work with many people internationally, and it’s impossible remember what all the holidays are. It would be nice to have days be flagged as unavailable when I try to assign a task to somebody on a holiday.

2 Likes

I’d love to be able to mark days as “away” or “busy” ahead of time, so that when people try to assign tasks to me for that day (or even if I try to assign tasks to myself for that day), I’d get a prompt to remind me I’m not available.

It be great if the task assigner could override, or request, the task to still be assigned.

I struggle to integrate my Asana life and my team’s Google Calendar life.

Tiffany

4 Likes

Hi @Tiffany_Deluccia and welcome to the Forum! :wave:

I believe your request is similar to the one described : Holiday/Leave/Block off time - either as PTO, Holiday, or all day task.

Would you mind if I merge your post with it to consolidate ideas and votes? Looking forward to your reply!

Yes! That would be fine! Thanks.

1 Like

I agree to this feature entirely. It would also be great to have certain days (i.e. Christmas, Christmas Eve, other holidays, etc.) as a ‘full’ workload for the entire company.

2 Likes

I’m feeling this pain right now. I’ve got a coworker who is out of office next week. I keep assigning things to him, then remembering he’s out, then going back in and adjusting the dates or reassigning the task… Why oh why can’t the vacation indicators show in advance of the vacation?

9 Likes

I would also like to put a vote in for this to be a thing in Asana. We’re a small team and we have issues with putting due dates when people are gone, I can only imagine for larger teams. It would help tremendously with planning and scheduling to have a flag or note pop up that says someone on the team is gone or unavailable that day.

5 Likes

Agree, def need this esp when working with international teams

I agree this would be very useful. Right now our team uses a seperate project called OOO where we create a task with the vacation dates and assign to that specific person. This helps when scheduling as you can look at their calendar and see they are away during that time.

We also have a fairly large international team and it would be very helpful to have the ability to pick your county and have stat holidays in those countries show in the calendar so that we dont schedule over them. Right now they usually just let us know if we have scheduled something that is on a holiday for them if they notice in advance.

We find it challenging to keep projects on schedule and take into account teammate vacations and time off. If would be very helpful if Asana could either integrate with our calendar to show out of office days or if we had the option to set ‘off’ time off within Asana. If someone is scheduled off and we’re trying to assign and schedule a project, task, or sub-task due during that time, we would see a warning with a note about the time off and when they’ll be back in so the due date can be adjusted accordingly during the planning phase. Helps with moral and efficiency! :slight_smile:

Hi @Collette_Lazor, welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your feedback with us!

This is a popular request in the forum and we already have a thread about this topic. In order to consolidate feedback, I’ve gone ahead and moved your request to: Holiday/Leave/Block off time - either as PTO, Holiday, or all day task . I hope you don’t mind!

1 Like