"Hide a Custom Field" affects all users

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:

When I toggle show/hide a Custom Field, it shows/hides it for all users, not just me.
I expect its behavior to be like all of the self-only filters in the upper right of a task view.

Steps to reproduce:

• Log in as two users on two different browsers/windows, looking at the same shared project view.
  • Have a shared custom field in a shared project view.
  • Have one user click on “Fields” in the upper right, and toggle visibility of a custom field, as shown here: https://asana.com/guide/help/premium/custom-fields#gl-hide
  • BUG: visibility changes for both users looking at the shared project view page,
  • EXPECTED: visibility changes ONLY for the user clicking the toggle, e.g. like if user uses the “Sort” order or the “Filter” buttons functions right next to the “Fields” button.

Browser version:
Firefox 68.0.2 (64-bit)
macOS 10.14.6

Upload screenshots below:

Welcome to the Forum @VVEthan :wave:and thank you so much for taking time to report this.

I can confirm this is not a bug, but actually an expected behaviour. Since Custom Fields affect everyone in the Project, when you edit, reorder, hide or remove one field, this change will apply for every member of the project.

If it’s ok with you, I’m moving this thread to the #tipsandtricks category to help other users to easily find it. Please, let me know if you have any follow-up question!

Have a great day!

That’s really unfortunate.

Where do I file a feature request to make Toggle Visibility a per-user view?

We want to add at least 2 more custom fields, but we’re avoiding it because having everyone toggle visibility of custom fields while we’re doing planning is really distracting and frustrating.

Hi @VVEthan :wave: I would recommend to create a brand new thread in the #productfeedback category to allow you and other Forum Members to vote for this feature request. Please, don’t forget to click on the “Vote” button at the very top of the thread to add your vote.

Have a nice Tuesday!

1 Like