Help, Please! - Copying Subtask Workflow

Please help - we’re transitioning from Trello to Asana for our editorial calendars. We have the calendars set up, but our tasks always have the same workflow (subtasks) and I’d like to easily repeat the subtasks from task to task. I’ve got all of our content items created as tasks, but is there an easy way to copy our subtask workflow to each task?

We’ve got about 40 active articles (tasks) per board with three boards, so you can see why I’d want to copy them :slight_smile: Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Teresa_Johnson,

Welcome to Asana! We’ll be happy to help.

Are you familiar with the Copy Task functionality? When you copy a task, you can select which aspects of the task to copy, including subtasks. I believe this will help solve your problem.

To take this one step further, you could create a task that you use as a Template, which you add to all of your editorial calendar projects.

With that, it sounds like Asana Templates would be a big support in your workflow.

Here are a few resources you might find helpful:

Please let us know if you have other questions. Thanks!

Hi!

I’m in the same situation, coming from Trello to Asana and using this setup for an editorial calendar. I don’t really feel my needs were met by this response though…

I used Unito (at Asana’s recommend!) to import a whole Trello board into Asana. So now I already have 30 articles there. I don’t want to recreate 30 tasks in order to have a checklist/subtask list on them. Can we not get a way of adding a subtask “template” even on an existing task?

Thank you!

Hi @Solveig_Rundquist thanks for your thoughtful suggestion! If you’d like to see this as a feature, feel free to create a new thread in the #productfeedback category.

hey there,
did you ever get a response to your request?
just new, and having issues trying to make a template with sub-tasks…

thanks
Allen

This would be sooooo nice to have, especially being able to assign a task template to the result of a form, to get ou 50 subtasks ready to go when the information comes in.

Hi @Marc-Andre_Beauchamp,

As of this week you can accomplish exactly this capability with Flowsana. Just create a rule which says for example “If a new task is created in the Work Requests project, then add all of the subtasks from underneath the Work Request Template task.” You’ll have your 50 subtasks automatically there every time you get a new form submission!

You can see more info in this forum post.