Help getting my company engaged

It’s been over a year now since our Asana roll-out and so far things have been okay. Our TV production team has benefited the most with this new change. They receive tasks (tickets) for production requests and it really helps them stay organized.

We have 22 seats on our team, we are a relatively small non-profit TV station and are using Asana to connect everyone with what they need from other teams.

We have our stand-out “super users” who use Asana to it’s fullest potential. But, for the majority of our company, most people aren’t jumping on board. Either some people don’t log in, or some don’t seem to respond to @ mentions. Some don’t even understand concepts that were taught at several training sessions.

What, if anything, can I do to get our company more engaged and excited to use Asana? Any tips would be helpful and appreciated. Thank you!

@TylerNow sounds like your ticket request system works and that you’ve got at least part of the team bought in - good job with that!
A couple of topics here - so to organize some thoughts:

• What is your primary ticketing system?
  • How are technical knowledge gaps addressed?
  • What happens when someone does not respond to a mention?

Primary Ticket System: It appears there is a workaround, in another term, backdoor which is bad for any type of work-ticket related item. Whether Asana is you primary work-ticket system or merely an adjacent tool by which to communicate, it should be clearly understood where it stands in the communcative pecking order. I’ve worked with a few service-based companies that use Asana only for when their primary tools don’t “check all of the boxes”, but have had to restrict that workaround to NOT be by email, slack, etc. It was Program B then Asana. No email allowed!

Knowledge Gaps: be a squeaky wheel - I’ve had to send random tidbits of info periodically from the Asana Guide, Community Forum, as well as the Academy. Sometime its not the content that was sent, but that a source exists where we can all pull knowledge from. This is a hard one, as if they aren’t bought-in, they won’t even spend the time when its handed to them.

Not replying to @mention: Behavior reinforcement 101. Let them know that a response is expected. That’s your control variable and really the only professional way! Once you establish the expectation:

• If someone requests information via email, reply via task comment in Asana.
  • If someone sets up a task by phone, set one up in Asana and add them as a collaborator.
    It sounds like you’re already here, but you (and other teammates for the cause) may need to be pedantic.
    Once someone sees that the only way to collaborate with you is in Asana, they will most likely follow suit. A bit Machiavellian but sometimes playing chicken is the best way to get people onboard.

Hope I’m not too far off but as you can tell this is tough and may have struck a nerve!

You’re in the good fight - keep it up!

2 Likes