Global Rules would rule! Create a library for Rules

Agree, this would be super helpful.

I’m about to implement a 10 item ruleset to keep my ticket status in sync between projects. We have 20 projects that need this ruleset to achieve the automation I’m looking for (those different projects allow different customers to have visibility into only the items that are important to them - whilst maintaining a master list visible to the Asana internal users).

Having a global rule that I could re-apply when the projects share Sections or Fields would save me about 2 days of work.

1 Like

I agree that this would be great! I’m currently managing all of our projects and it would be great to have a Rules library.

1 Like

This would be an amazing addition to the growing usability of rules. +1 for me :smiley:

Hello,

Currently, my team are assigned task from lots of different projects and I’m looking to create a board that has a holistic view of their tasks.

I set up a project and wanted to add a rule in which any task that are assigned to my team, will create a card in the project overview.

I’ve been able to set up a custom rule within the project itself, however, I’ve not sure how to create that globally.

So a rule that’s something like, when x person is assigned a card, generate a card in x project. (This card would exist in multiple projects, so the creator would still need to add their own workflow)

Thanks for any help ’

2 Likes

Hi @anon38902713, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

At this time, Rules can only be created on a per project basis. It is not possible to create global Rules.

We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

Thanks, is there any other way I can see all the tickets my reports are working on in one place?

thanks

1 Like

It would be useful for projects that share a common rule, that when that rule is updated, it updates across all the projects that use it (like custom fields).

1 Like

Hey @anon95196873 definitely agree this could be very handy.

You might also want to have a look at this thread and upvote: Global Rules would rule! Create a library for Rules

Found this Product Feedback Post after Googling the same question. It looks like it has been 2.5 years since the post. Has this made any progress from Asana?

1 Like

creating rules is a very good feature but I dont see a way to apply the rule for multiple projects.
Is there a way to apply a rule to multiple projects or a section?

This request was raised Mar’21 more than a year ago. see the forum link Adding Rules to Multiple Projects

Unfortunately this thread was closed without answering if the feature is available or implemented.

Please let me know if there is a way to apply or copy the rule to multiple projects

2 Likes

Welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

Currently this is not possible yet, however I recommend upvoting this existing feedback request thread: Global Rules would rule! Create a library for Rules

Finally getting into Workflows and agree that this would be amazing! Many of my workflows are switching from one person to another over the course of the task, and it would be great to just copy that rule and change the people!

Bumping this! Even a simple option to duplicate an existing rule within a project would be a huge help. I find myself creating very similar rules (especially when they ARE the same rule, with some variant, such as combining dropdown options).

2 Likes

Yes! Getting sick of training new people and re-creating the same MyTask rules again… and again… and again.

1 Like

FWIW, @Adam_van_Geuns, I just send them to my article which documents the rules I repeatedly ask users to create:

Larry

1 Like

That’s actually pretty cool, thanks for sharing.

I usually do a newbie session when they join going over most things on the side and the basics of rules, etc.

1 Like

Supporting this thread: I need to manually create each rule on each project and each column (Table view).
Having a library would make this super fast and effective: just specify each rule for which project and column is active.
Please raise priority of this request,
Thanks and Regards.

4 Likes

The addition of this feature would be a massive game changer. Sometimes persons begin using Asana, and create hundreds of projects without understanding how automation rules can help. Once identified, these rules need to be applied to each project, and get this, if there’s a ton of sections, its a never ending journey in getting theses rules implemented.

Please prioritize this request.

2 Likes

Adding my vote to this too - I am a brand new user, on Day 3 of using Asana, and was a bit surprised that this is not a standard feature.

1 Like