Filter tasks by tag

@anon34702559 have you voted for Tie custom field to board columns ?

+1

when I filter by tag in advanced serach - it gives in ones with tag for sure but also ones without so I dont get how that helps.
Can someone advice how to filter and get only items with tags associated to them

This is such a basic functionality! I was looking for an alternative to our current software, and Asana looked great, but not being able to filter by tags is a deal breaker

3 Likes

I agree. Every week I come so close to subscribing, but find limitations like this that are so frustrating.

3 Likes

I also waiting for this basic functionality: to be able to filter a list view with tags.

3 Likes

Same problem. I am an expert of knowledge management and started intuitively to look this feature as I don’t understand why to use tags without this. Just starting with Asana.

I would like to filter boards and lists by tags. Maybe even the timeline if possible. Search is ok, but then you lose your board and list view and that doesn’t work anymore.

I already divided things to projects, but I need these tags also. I think this is the last feature I am missing :).

1 Like

Agreed, standard data practices would indicate that customer-created data should be useable for filters and sorts and in every view where it makes sense. I believe Asana sees it very differently…they construe a tag as being good as a visual indicator that can draw the eye when a short list of Tasks is reviewed. Which probably IS a good idea if you’re guaranteed to never have any Task List or Board with more than 20 Items on it. I suspect the architects did all their brainstorming with tiny task lists used as examples.

Many or most of us deal with 100s and 1000s, if not 10,000+ Tasks routinely. We need solid data handling. This is 2022.

5 Likes

I am honestly baffled, that such a basic feature - that even has been requested this often - is not present in the platform. For a tool to be enterprise worthy, being this limited with filters is beyond sad. Please bring your filter functions up to or at least close to your competition.

6 Likes

2018 lol

2 Likes

+1
I think this could be developed in no time, given that the functionality to filter by other fields is already implemented. Would help me and a lot of other users help a lot!

2 Likes

+1. This seems like a feature that’s basic and common-sense, and like an easy feature to add.

Here’s a simple example of why we need this:

Tags:
Blue - Wireframing
Green - Design
Red - Development

We set this up expecting to be able to filter by tag, just as you do by assignee. The board is still useful, however as this project moves between phases (Wireframing → Design → Development), it would be very handy to simply filter tasks by tag.

In the wireframing phase, neither design or development are relevant. But we want to keep those tasks on the board as they are part of the known scope. So we :pray:t2:would like to simply filter by tag to see only tasks in the Wireframing phase.

Please add this!!!

1 Like

I want to be able to filter reports by tag. I saw a few other posts on this, but they were closed. However this still isn’t possible.

Hi @anon73832137, thanks for this feedback.

We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Rebecca_McGrath but this is about filtering tasks by tag. I want to be able to filter Reports by tag. Is this the same feature?

1 Like

We’re currently trialling Asana, and this is probably the most frustrating missing feature, that means we’re still considering other platforms, as otherwise, we’re pretty keen on Asana.

It surprises me that this has not been added yet given this suggestion has been around for 4 years now! And how it shouldn’t really be that tricky to add.

1 Like

Agreeing with most on the thread that this is table-stakes. Can someone from Asana please advise the timeline for this feature release?

1 Like

If one cannot filter by tags, what is the point of having the field/feature? Where is it useful? The Guide notes tags are used “to group similar tasks for easy viewing”, but provides no instruction on how to actually view groups of tagged tasks.

5 Likes

Well, you can click on a Tag, and then see a list of all Tasks that include that Tag. The default (and only) Sort of this view is by Project.

Overall, though, I do agree with you, it makes no sense that a Tag entity would be created with such limited useability, or total lack of tools to manage and organize them.

2 Likes

I understand the workarounds for this… however, would love to see the ability to be in a project and use the “quick filter” function to only show certain tags!

2 Likes