File folder and view options

Why can’t we have file folders with different view options for uploaded docs similar to any drive (e.g. google drive, dropbox)

8 Likes

Some type of organization of files would be nice—folders, per-member favorites, drag-and-drop ordering. Images that are hearted (within the task) should also so the hearts. Without the ability to organize, I find that the “Files” tab gets out of hand (and, therefore, not useful) very quickly.

6 Likes

Replying to my reply here :wink:.

Asana is not a file sharing/storage application, which is why Asana integrates with other file sharing/storage apps like Dropbox and Google Drive. Those are better options for file organization. That said, I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing some organization inside Asana project files!

1 Like

There are a number of enhancements I’d like to see for the Files view. A list view (rather than really large image blocks) would help when there are a lot of files uploaded to a project. A way to clearly sort things would also help; chronologically by upload date, sorting by task like below:

Proof #1
filename
Proof #2
filename2
filename3

etc.

Each task would also be collapsable so you don’t see files you don’t need. I think it makes sense to have each task show up as files are added to them automatically as well, since every file is connected to a task anyway.

It would also be great to just have a download button built into the Files view.

9 Likes

This is something that I have also been wondering about.

It would certainly be good to at a minimum be able to share a folder from the particular file sharing service and not only specific files. It would be an added bonus if you could browse and manipulate that folder straight from within Asana (in grid or file list view).

Kind Regards

3 Likes

I came here to make this specific request. For me I don’t need folders or anything else complex for organizing because Asana is not meant for document storage. When a project has a lot of files we use another storage. But for random files that do get dropped into a Project could we PLEASE get something other than that tile view? Even just give a list view, or make that the default. The current view is what kills me. I can’t even read the full document name without hovering over each document.

10 Likes

Agree about folders for files. Need to organize the files for a project in a folder.

3 Likes

Agreed. We are a small business and don’t have our own domain name (could purchase, but really have no need). Since we don’t have a domain name, we can’t have an Organization with separate teams. The teams view at least rolls up projects, so you could kind of use them as buckets to hold certain topics. Unfortunately, that is unavailable to us. I’d much rather see Asana implement some kind of folder structure than have to buy a custom domain to upgrade to an Organization.

Especially now with the ability to create custom templates - we have SO many templates, and I dislike seeing the templates on the sidebar alongside the current instances of the project from the template. I’d like to create a folder for “Templates” where those can remain, and another folder for “Archived” (so we can continue to search and reference them) and then the remaining projects in the sidebar will actually be those currently in use.

Yes, voted for list view of files and folder structure.

3 Likes

adding my voice that this is an essential feature

2 Likes

At a minimum, I would like to be able to label files. We keep a lot of drafts in our discussion of files. Labeling them as such and being able to label the final versions is essential. Even Basecamp has this feature.

I’d be great to have a better view from the attachments in Files page. Sorting by date and name.

1 Like

Hi @Aline_Bergamo, welcome to the Forum! Thank you for sharing your suggestion here. I agree that it would be great to have sorting options in the “Files” page. I have passed along this feedback to our Product on my end as well so we can keep in on our radar for future updates :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Has this item ever been addressed (file view and sorting in the “files” page)? The view is terrible, with a large white rectangle with nothing but an extension logo, and very small space to house the file name. I would like to see something like a filing system. It is very difficult to see the file names, and therefore difficult to determine which is the most recent version of the file as the view sits today.

What is the logic behind the files that are stored in an Asana’s project?, Because is not sorted by any criterion, and cannot be sorted in any way either. After a couple of months is easy to get lost there.

1 Like

Hi @Diego_Mariani :wave:

You are right here. As it stands, it is currently not possible to sort or reorder files in the Files View. I also agree that it would be very helpful to have a sorting or filter option in this view.

We already have a thread requesting this functionality, so If you don’t mind, I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with this main thread to consolidate feedback and votes. I would recommend you to add your vote to it.

Thank you very much for your feedback! I hope you have a great Friday!

HI @Amanda_Little :wave: I totally hear you! I don’t have an update regarding this topic yet, but as soon as I do I’ll make sure to post it here.

Thank you for your taking time to share your feedback with us! I hope you have a great Friday!

Thanks for your answer Natalia

We often refer to the File View for files that were attached to tasks, conversations, etc. and it would be great to have some ability to sort, filter, create folders with the File View to better organize and review all files associated with the project.
Also, a Global File section would be interesting as a catalog or database of files in our Organization, or by Portfolio that were created or added for our projects.

Hi,
We work a large number of files within Asana and it would be great to be able to “label” them. It is critical that the correct file for us is chosen to progress with. A task can hold many iterations of a file and so being able to label them would allow for zero confusion on which file is the correct one to grab (whether in a task or the files view). In basecamp, you can create your own custom labels based on your team’s needs/functions and we would love to see this functionality in Asana as well.