Users in custom fields (Created by)

Hi team,
We would like to have access to users for custom fields to assign the review of a task to a person without changing its owner

1 Like

@Eddy_Boels, subtasks will work for that case. Custom fields are for storing meta information about tasks/items, not for task-management.

1 Like

I would like this feature to use for persons who are consulted but not responsible for the task. It would be very useful to keep them informed without assigning them and thus keeping the task clean

3 Likes

I would be handy to have the values of the assignees- dropdown, available to custom- fields. I don’t ask for multiple assignees (primary responsable workers) to a task, even this seems related to Assign multiple assignees on one task

Sometimes there are different roles for a task, like someone who has to review, confirm etc. a task. This may varie within a project, so i can’t use those rules. And not every time it makes make sense to split a task in a “do it-”, “review it-” task or to add those as sub-tasks (Correct me if i’m wrong as a Asana newbie). I guess this also would open other possibilities, not mentioned here.

Currently we have manually to create field of type Dropdown and include different Roles or Workers. This isn’t updated when there is a now co-worker

2 Likes

Hi @BES, thanks for reaching out and taking the time to submit your feedback with us!

Just to make sure I understood your request, you would like to have a drop-down custom field in which you can choose different assignees. Do you want this to be under the assignee field? For example, a second assignee field in a task?

It’ll be very helpful if you can give more details of what you would like to achieve. Thanks in advance!

Hi Emily_Roman

Exactly, a custom field of type dropdown, where i can choose one single assignee. With assignee, i mean to pick someone from the same list of users, which is available under the default field “assignees”. We’d name this field different e.g. like “review by” or “suggested by”. This fields position doesn’t matter. I guess the order of the column (at least in the table- view) could be changed similar to other “custom fields”.

Sure, i guess it make sense to add this type of field near to the “responsable” assignee

Best regards,
Bes

1 Like

Thanks for confirming this information and sending the screenshots, @BES! I see what you mean, and thanks again for sharing this feedback. I’ll make sure to update this thread as soon as I have news about this feature or something similar!

3 Likes

Having a custom field like that would be very useful for us as well.
We create a main task for each thing to do, and there is a subtask per person, but when I look at the main tasks in the project in List mode, it’s very useful to know in one glance who does what where.
So far, i’ve created a custom field with the name of everyone. and I created it several times because I want one for each role.
Having “Assignees” in the library would make the selection easier, and enable to have several roles fields easily.

2 Likes

Adding this feature would have tremendous value. In some workflows, the task/card item could indeed have multiple people assigned to it, sometimes in different roles.

In a product roadmap for exemple, one could want to add to the ‘task’ item: a product owner, a UX lead, a PM, a developer, etc etc

I really like Asana but the design choice to make sure only one team member appears on a given task really limits product usability. The platform should really be less opinionated in this perspective, and these limitations lack user empathy!
It’s about work management, flexibility in creating various workflows
 not to enforce a methodology!

@Marie @Emily_Roman,

I think this thread is a duplicate of Users in custom fields (Created by)

2 Likes

Thanks @Phil_Seeman, I’ve just merged them!

1 Like

Very useful feature request voted up. We are big users of Asana and like the product but this seems like an easy feature request to fulfill.

The ability to select any Asana user from a custom field type: user would be incredibly useful for my company.

The main task can have a task owner, but it would be good to be able to create custom columns for other roles on the task such as “Copy Writer”, “Designer” etc.

This should be just left to subtasks, as sometimes these people’s role don’t include specific tasks, or their tasks come later down the line, but the assignees need to be visable from the time the project is set up.

Monday.com has the ability to select users in custom columns.

Asana should also have, Date, Time, URL, email, phone custom fields that reject invalid input (again text field is not good enough for this).

Asana should have at least all the same custom fields as in Monday:

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Created By custom field

Per @Kyle_Johnson’s post about Monday.com, Airtable also has a similar option. This is a huge gap in field type for Asana.

@Emily_Roman Hi, any update on this feature?

It would help us big time in tracking the general owner / creator of the task, vs who it is assigned to at the moment. This would allow for the task to switch assignees, depending on where the ball is at the moment, but to stay informed who is ultimately reponsible for managing this end2end.

Imagine e.g. a lawyer pipeline of issues, tracked in one project. The lawyer would like to see “table style”, who are the business owners of each issue/task, even though the task is currently on her.

The lack of the feature prevents few of the processes to move smoothly from gsheet to asana.

I understand that this feature would potentially also address the “multiple task assignees” problem, that is requested by many users.

Of course I also understand, that it creates number of questions regarding the implications for the users “used” in the custom field → should they see somewhere that they are selected in custom field?

For start, I would recommend to treat this just as another custom field, with users as a database to chose from. But not to complicate things and just do regular sorting / search / reporting on this, without additional views. Users can create custom reports for that if needed.

Currently I’m considering creating the custom field “users” and adding all the users by hand (plus remembering to update while people change) → you can imagine my frustration around it :wink:

best,
Bart

I need to see who created tasks, so that I can prioritize tasks created by my leadership.

This information is available in the task audit trail. If you want to see it in the list view, this is indeed not possible unless using custom code, which I can help you with.

I agree that this would be extremely useful. Hopefully this can be added soon.

As a user, I’d like to select Asana users as a data type when creating a custom field.

I could then name people/users in custom fields such as “stakeholders” or “QA’d by” or “submitted by” or “sales rep” or “product owner” etc.