Feature request: Markdown

One more vote for Markdown.

I am not a developer, but I do most of my writing in Bear using Markdown.

Not being able to copy and paste notes easily is a pain.

The second use case for me is storing query snippets/ code snippets that are sent to me. Right now I have to save these in Sublime or have a file attached.

4 Likes

As much as I dislike +1 comments, this really would be a huge improvement in Asana for me and most developers I know who are used to markdown in every other tool they write in.

I could even live with learning different keyboard shortcuts and not having full markdown support if we only got a way to paste blocks of code, log lines, SQL query results from CLI etc. and have them readable. Syntax highlighting is a plus (and not hard) but even just plain monospaced block would make discussing technical things massively more comfortable.

Other than this I like Asana’s flow and thought in how to make a good UX. It seems like a small issue but this has pretty major implications on how well technical teams can communicate about work.

5 Likes

I support this addition as well! It would make the comments much more useful for tracking development tasks.

3 Likes

+1
Also, fixing the weird non-standard implementation of formatting in descriptions and comments would be great too.
e.g the way bold inherits to a new line but then turns off sometimes when you backspace to the beginning of the line
hackmd.io for a great implementation
though this discourse software also seems pretty good

3 Likes

It’s 2017 - There are Chat Clients on my Android device that have better Markdown Support than Asana. I know that it’s probably more than a walk in the park to implement this, but please do it! Even this community tool has markdown support :confused:

4 Likes

+1, please please please!

When I copy+paste my asana bullet points into other apps like O365, the bullet points disappear. It’s completely unusable for pasting meeting minutes in to emails to people. (Not just for nerds!) The beauty of markdown is that is doesn’t need a markdown viewer to be perfectly functional! Markdown bullet points would come in as dashes or stars at the start of each line.

6 Likes

@Alexis Markdown has emerged as the dominant way to markup text on wikis, issue trackers such as github, gitlab, wordpress, etc. Many developers, like myself, prefer using that to wysiwyg style editors or whatever key combinations you have. When discussing technical matters, the github flavour is particularly useful when including e.g. code samples or fragments. So kind of an essential thing to support in Asana.

5 Likes

So much has been said that I agree with and I’d give this feature request more votes if I could. I’m just confused why Asana has gone with proprietary formatting functionality over an industry standard. Granted not everyone is a developer, but surely folks are familiar with, or can quickly become familiar with, Markdown given how many other sites utilize it for commenting now. I just don’t see what benefit the Asana-flavored formatting brings users when compared with Markdown.

5 Likes

I’m sure there is a way to leave current (shortcut/wysiwyg) approach as default, and add Markup as a hack, and in future, per-user preference.

3 Likes

For all of you that have been wishing for markdown support in Asana, I’ve developed a Chrome extension that should significantly improve life for you! The extension, Asana Markdown and Syntax Highlighting, as the name suggests, brings support for Github-Flavored-Markdown (GFM) and robust auto-syntax highlighting for 23 languages! Try it here here and help me improve it by providing early feedback: link to Chrome extension.

After installing it, refresh your Asana tab and try creating a new task with a few signature elements of markdown syntax (headers, bold, italics, and lists in the task description editor field, and watch the description field transform into rich Github-Flavored-Markdown. For a quick preview, copy the text here into the description field. The extension supports most GFM features, including tables and inline images!

10 Likes

I included your great idea for language-specific syntax highlighting in the Chrome extension I developed :slight_smile: Per my post below, definitely check out the extension and let me know your thoughts!

2 Likes

Personally I think formatting buttons is more important, as it will serve 100% of Asana users, then markdown would be a nice to have for the < 100% of users (probably quite a low percent?). I have never made the switch to markdown myself (I am a developer) I dont understand the need to learn and type all those extra things when I can just click a button. Forums where I have to type in codes in brackets and things to format text is a real pain. I always have to go seek out their formatting documentation to see how to add in a quote, code, bullet list etc. Why cant they just have a button. Buttons first as they server everyone, then markdown is a bonus for the lower number of people who use markdown.

4 Likes

This is a MUST have … I have switched to Asana a week ago and now started looking for what type of Markdown you have.

It is completely ironic that this forum has it and your actual product does not.
Especially since our (and many others) primary use is for programmer communications.
programmer_task = Asana(task)

AND the code to make all this happen is Open Source and easily added.

It is hard to believe that Asana has left this undone from March 2017 until now.
Hopefully Asana can give this to us for our Christmas Present :tada::evergreen_tree::santa:

10 Likes

Asana team. I’ve been asking for this for months. My org is forced to use bit.ly to shorten links. This is completely silly and makes me look like a boob when I’m trying to champion asana:

“Wait, this thing doesn’t even support hyperlinks?”
“Well… not completely.”
“Isn’t that pretty much the first thing we designed the internet to do?”
“Well… yes.”
“Why should I use this to collaborate?”
“Uh… once you ignore the lack of simple markdown and formatting tools…”

7 Likes

How about this: (clicking either would have sub menus)

2 Likes

+1
Very useful feature for me too.
Thanks,
Francesco

Championing Asana to our dev team to migrate from Trello took a quick stop when they realised that Markdown isn’t supported…

2 Likes

Chiming in to add my support to a Markdown feature in Asana. I use Markdown for all of my notes and documentation outside of Asana, so it would be nice to have that aspect of my workflow mirrored here. This comment as well as this comment summarize my thoughts on this pretty well. Thanks for considering this.

1 Like

Yes, Markdown, reaaaally needed!!!
+1 +1 +1

1 Like

+1 can’t switch my team from Trello until MD is supported.

Thanks.

5 Likes