Highlight due date when using keyboard shortcut to edit due date

When on a task and you tab + a to change the assignee, you can immediately start typing the name of the user. However when you tab + d to change the date, it drops your cursor at the beginning of the date string, forcing you to have to highlight and delete what is already there. Could it be set to automatically highlight all of it when you tab + d so that you can immediately start typing the new due date?

:slight_smile: Open to suggestions or critique. It would just make my job so much easier since as a project manager I’m constantly working with our developers on due dates etc.

I hadn’t realised this was an issue until I read your post. It’s a small thing but I can see how it would become frustrating if you’re repeatedly changing dates.

1 Like

Hey Mark,

Trying to gain traction for this again, reposted here: Make tab + d like tab + a

Hi John

Duplicate posts usually get merged, so you might find your new post getting combined with this one. However, just adding a new comment does push it up the list in the Latest category, so hopefully more people might see it anyway.

@Mark_Hudson is right, as a Moderator I can’t allow duplicate posts and spend my day fighting them with my mask and cape. Will hide your other post @John_Geesey please don’t hate me.

2 Likes

Haha fair enough Bastien! No hate, only a passion for Asana and sensible
shortcut experiences. :slight_smile:

Keep up the great work!

John Geesey

Bastien as a moderator would you possibly be able to rename this thread then? :smiley:

What title do you suggest? This one seems to reflect what you asked for ins’t it?

I guess that one’s fine still haha just a little restless :wink:

I think this is a great idea John! I have the same problem… :slight_smile:

I rely heavily on keyboard shortcuts in my workflow. Whenever I create a new task/card in my project, I use the keyboard shortcuts to fill out the card’s initial information.

An issue I run into is certain fields will make the card lose focus so I can no longer use keyboard shortcuts. One example is after hitting tab + d to set a due date, I can no longer use any keyboard shortcuts.

I’d love to be able to navigate from field to field with only the keyboard but at the moment that seems not possible.

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for your feedback @Jesse_Brack!

We already have a very similar thread in the #productfeedback category: Highlight due date when using keyboard shortcut to edit due date so if you don’t mind, I’ll go ahead and merge your post with this main thread to consolidate feedback on this topic!

I often quickly go through my To Do list, review details, and change Due Dates. As a power user, I like to use shortcut keys as often as possible. Tab-D goes to the Due Date box immediately. Perfect! However, a user then has to take the extra step of deleting the existing date by highlighting it and deleting, or backspacing character by character, or using a mouse to select a different date, which defeats the purpose of shortcut keys. Instead, when the Due Date box is selected (by Tab-D or mouse click in the box) it should automatically highlight the Due Date that’s already in there. Then a user can just start typing to replace it, without having to highlight and delete it first. This would save a lot of time for power users when updating Due Dates.

If you agree, please give a vote! :slight_smile:

Mine got merged into yours. This is such a big deal to me, and such a simple change! Hopefully we can get some more votes here for it.

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
With a recent update, it seems that focus is no longer brought to the date input when using tab + d to edit the date – but only when the date is already set. When the date isn’t set, the focus goes to the date input correctly. When the date is already set, the focus instead stays on the task name input in the task list.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Set date for task.
  2. Use tab + d keyboard shortcut.

Browser version:
Version 87.0.4280.67

While fixing this, it would also be nice to implement this suggestion: Highlight due date when using keyboard shortcut to edit due date - #12 by Marie

:slight_smile:

Thanks for your feedback @Trevor_Cohen, this is currently working as expected. Apologies for any inconvenience. We already have a tthread for this request so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the main thread to centralize feedback :raised_hands:

These are actually different issues – highlighting the text after focus is brought to the date input (this issue) vs. bringing focus to the input in the first place (my bug report). That’s why I created a new thread and linked to this one! But, it looks like the bug I mentioned has been fixed, so thanks to the team for that :pray:

Short cut keys are a critical feature to ensure productivity. Asana has the worst I have ever encountered and they ignore the flaws.

Changing the follow up date for a task is an essential discipline for people to advance a task or project. So why is it so damn difficult to do this move efficiently in Asana. Why – because there is a discernable “don’t care” attitude about the quality of the user experience.

Sure would hope that someday they start living up to their hype.

Hi @George_Considine, thanks for sharing your feedback with us. We already have a thread on this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with Highlight due date when using keyboard shortcut to edit due date to consolidate votes. Hopefully we can implement this in future updates.