Allow Additional Emails to be added to existing tasks from Asana Add-on for Gmail

Could you please update the functionality of the Gmail Add-on to include being able to add emails to existing tasks. I love creating tasks from Gmail but often have updates that would be great to add-in as a comment. I would use this frequently in dealing with long-term tasks.

20 Likes

Thanks for your feedback @Brandon_Pendry; really appreciate it! I’ve moved your post to the #productfeedback category to all you and other members to vote for this feature request; hope that’s ok!

3 Likes

Adding a email from the customer to an existing task will be a great feature. This will remove the need to manually add the comments to the task, and the task will be updated always,

7 Likes

I understand how to create Asana tasks based on incoming email messages in Gmail. However, when I get new messages in Gmail and want to add them or information from them into the existing Asana task, how do I do that?

Hi @Laura_Montgomery,

Unfortunately this option is not available at this time. You can create new tasks in a project or email conversations to a project or team, but is not possible to add new information to an existing tasks.

We have a topic about this feature request in the #productfeedback category and I’ll merge your comment there to consolidate feedback.

Thanks for taking the time to share your request with us!

1 Like

I’ve been trying the Gmail integration, and it works reasonably well for creating new tasks from an email (the link to the email and text of the email is added as a comment to the newly created task). However, while there is the option of “Create New Task” vs “Search for Task”, the “Search for Task” option doesn’t give you the option of linking or attaching or appending the content of the email to the selected existing task. (As another user commented, I tried the “Post Comment” button to see if this would do this, but I got an error message because the comment text was blank.) In order for this integration to be useful to me, this would be a necessary option.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Forum @Sarah_Gilberg :wave: and thank you for taking time to share your feedback with us!

There is an existing thread in the Forum regarding this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post to this main thread to consolidate feedback!

I would suggest clicking on the “Vote” button at the very top of the thread to add your vote for this feature request! :slight_smile:

Have a great Friday Sarah!

Thank you for the response (and the merge!) Natalia. I searched for an existing topic on this but couldn’t find it. Glad I’m not the only one who is asking for this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi just been using the Gmail Pluggin alot more than previously, and have just found something that would like to get changed.

When Creating a New Task from Gmail you can attached the email as part of the task. Which is great. However if the tasks already exists and you search for an existing tasks you have no way of attaching the email to that tasks.

Can this be looked at being included in a future release.

Jason.

Great Idea. I would love to be able to do so.

I use the existing Gmail tool to generate new tasks off of emails in Gmail. But can I attach an email to an existing task?
It would be cool if the existing Asana Gmail tool would allow me to search for a task and then just say, attach this email thread (or link to this email thread) inside the existing task. That way I could keep related email conversations in the tasks.

HI @Shani_Nowlin :wave: Thank you for reaching out!

As it stands, it is not possible to attach an email to an existing task. There is an existing thread requesting this functionality so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with this thread to consolidate feedback. I hope It’s OK

I would recommend to upvote it. You can add your vote by clicking on the “Vote” button at the very top of the thread!

Have a great Wednesday! :slight_smile:

We would also really like to see this functionality.

Yes the asana gmail/gsuite addon is just pants! I have today, made the commitment to move from clickup to asana, only to find that this functionality is just rubbish - I can’t believe a product that has been around so long and, has had multiple requests to improve this functionality, just hasnt bothered in over a couple of years - you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Having just spent today - my sunday afternoon moving all the tasks over to asana I will be gutted if I have to move it all back, simply because asana can’t play well with Gmail - unbelievable!

Not sure how to vote but we need this in our team too.

2 Likes

Added my vote as well! My biggest question is - what is the point of using “Search for tasks”? Is it simply for a user to find a relevant task and add a comment without opening Asana? Even that is only barely useful, since adding a comment does not link it to the Asana task - either on Asana’s end in the comment (like the above posts mention), or on Gmail’s end by showing that task when opening the Asana add-in sidebar. Am I missing something here that’s supposed to make “Search for tasks” actually useful?

2 Likes

I’m upvoting this for development! This would be very helpful for my team.

I’m only a few weeks into testing ASANA and comparing to similar apps. While gmail integration works fine for creating new tasks, the ability to add an email (gmail) to an existing task (as a subtask) would be outstanding. A few of my clients rely on email threads as their project management tool and at times that becomes quite time-consuming and unmanageable.

1 Like

We need this functionality too.

2 Likes

It’s been two years not - this seems like a no-brainer product value add and not that complicated to implement. What’s the hold up? Thanks - Michael

10 Likes