Extract from description to fields

We are receiving tasks via email which are all formatted the same way. i.e.

• Description:
    Test ticket for creation in Asana
    Category: Citrix
    Did you log off from Citrix?: Yes
    Did you restart restart Citrix?: Yes
    Did you restart your Laptop/IGEL?: Yes
    Username: xxx\mkoch
    Devicename: CGNB0237
    Last Boot Up: 5/25/2021 11:25:17 AM
    IP-Adress: 10.xx.xx.xx
    TeamViewer ID:*

Is there a way to extract the details and add them to a custom field. So that I have the “Devicename” in the field “Device” or the “Category” in the field “Topic” and so on.

That would be great since we have two ways that users can create a ticket, either via form or via an emergency button that creates some files and the information which are in the description.

Thank you for all the help.

Hi @Marco_Koch, great question!

While it’s not possible to extract info from emails to Asana and add these to custom fields, you could instead use a form.

With Forms, it’s possible to link one of the question fields to a custom field, meaning the response given the form will auto populate the custom field when the form is submitted and a task created :+1:t2:

Take a look at this Guide article for more info:

I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Hi @Rebecca_McGrath,

I know about the forms, and we also use a form, but we have a special button implemented on each user client. When the user creates the ticket with this button, it triggers an email and also attach two files with many client information.

This would have been the perfect solution.

Thank you anyway. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Which system creates the ticket? That system should actually store the data in a structured way inside custom fields.

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.