Export Import misalignment

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing: Two issues:

1. Exporting to CSV provides fields/columns, those columns do not align with the import fields available.
  2. No relationship/predecessor column

Steps to reproduce:

1. Export a project to csv
  2. view or update fields, fields
  3. go to import fields identified as export fields are not displayed as importable

Browser version:
Irrelevant, but Chrome

Upload screenshots below:

Underlined in red are the columns/fields exported to csv from asana that do not have an import field in the importer shown in the right box

Hi @Chris_Devine and thanks for reaching out!

What you are experiencing here is actually not a bug but an expected behavior (as a result, I have moved your post to the #tipsandtricks category). But let me provide you with some context: when you export your project to CSV you export both, information and history, while when importing a project you often import information only. When mapping out your fields you actually have an option to create new fields; you can learn more how to do so in the following article: https://asana.com/guide/help/api/csv-importer

If there is a field in particular you’re struggling with, please let me know and I’ll be more than happy to assist you further.

Have a nice Monday!

1 Like

Hi Natalia,

Thank you for the note/follow up. Read the article, definitely helped.

I’m struggling with updating existing tasks and importing the update, as well as importing relationship information (not sub tasks). I didn’t see either of these in the article?

Look forward to hearing from you,

Chris

Hi @Chris_Devine! Good to hear it helped :grinning:

As it stands, it is not possible to import updated tasks.

I was able to find an existing thread on this topic in the forum Import to update existing tasks

Please, feel free to add your vote and comment if you would like to.

Have a nice Wednesday!

Thanks
@Natalia is there an existing thread on maintaining or adding relationships in an import? This is not answered in either thread that I saw and I have not been able to find it elsewhere.