Email notifications about assignment can refer to the wrong user as 'you'

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
When changing the assignment of a task, a subsequent email notification can sometimes incorrectly says that ‘[user] assigned a task to you’, when they actually assigned it to themself.

Steps to reproduce:

I don’t know if this reproduces it, but these are the steps that happened when I’ve seen it:

Task was assigned to user A
I (user B) commented and changed the assignment to myself (user B)
User C commented and changed the assignment to themself
I (user B) received says ‘User C assigned a task to you’

I’ve also seen it happen as:
Task was assigned to user A
I (user B) changed assignment to myself and commented
User A receives email saying ‘User B assigned a task to you’

Browser version:

Upload screenshots below:

Can provide more screenshots of the task itself directly to support but didn’t want to post their content on a public forum

Hi @Paul_Kelly, thanks for reaching out!

I can confirm that this is expected behaviour and not a bug. The subject of the email “User X assigned a task to you” is usually the first email you receive when the task is assigned to you. Any further updates to this task will be send as a response to this email, keeping the same email subject title.

If you scroll to the bottom of the email, you will see the newest update.

Just as when you have an email conversation with colleagues, the subject line does not change based on new emails.

I hope this helps to clarify! :slight_smile:

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for the reply.

That seems quite confusing if it’s the intended behaviour, because what the subject line says isn’t what actually happened - either as a result of the latest update or at any point in the history of the task. In my first example, the email says that user C assigned a task to me, but they didn’t (they assigned it to themself).

Cheers

Paul

Hi @Paul_Kelly, thanks for following up! If User C did not assign this task to you at any point, then this is not intended behaviour.

In this case, I’d suggest reaching out to our Support team with the URL link to the task in question as our Support team has access to additional tools that we don’t have here on the Community team to be able to look into this further.

You can reach our Support team by following these steps: How to contact our Support Team ✉

I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Thanks Rebecca, will do!

Cheers

Paul

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.