Editing a comment to @mention someone does not notify the person

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:

If you edit a previous comment to @mention someone, the person @mentioned does not get a notification unless the @mention person was added as a follower due to the @mention. Then they only get notified they were added as a follower.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a Task
  2. Add a follower
  3. Create a Comment
  4. Clear comment from Follower’s Inbox
  5. Edit previous comment by adding a @mention to follower
  6. Follower receives no notification.

or

1. Create a Task
  2. Create a Comment
  3. Edit Previous by adding a @mention to follower
  4. @mentioned is added as a follower and receives notification they are a follower. They do not receive the comment they were @mentioned in.

Browser version: Chrome 76.0.3809.132

1 Like

Oh that is a very nice bug, I always wondered if that worked or not!

Hi @Benjamin_Ragan :wave: and thank you for taking time to report this.

I’ve tried to reproduce on my end what you have explained and you are correct here. When you edit a comment to @mention a follower, he/she does not receive this notification since they already received the notification that somebody has commented on the Task. Same for the second case: they don’t receive the @mention notification since they already receive the notification for being added as a follower.

I’m not entirely sure this is a Bug or an expected behaviour but let me check with our Development Team, and I’ll get back as soon as I have an update!

Hi @Benjamin_Ragan and sincere apologies for the delay here.

I can confirm this is an expected behaviour. As it stands, Asana does not send notification for edited comments.

If a user is newly @-mention ed in an edited, comment, a notification will be sent. But in this case, as the user was already added as a follower on the task (as said in your step 2), the edited comment will not notify him/her.

Thank you for your patience and please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!
Have a great week!