Task Templates: Duplication function update coming soon?

Okay so, I’m becoming increasingly perplexed by the low functionality of the duplication function. We use it a lot to copy templates for new client enquiries, new recurring tasks etc.

My questions would be: Is an update / improvement on the way? My suggestion would be to create something similar to the recent addition made when you mark one or several tasks in the list view. This prompts an “action panel” where you can add to projects, edit fields, etc.

When you duplicate a task it would be such a huge improvement if you could interact much more with the options, rather than just tick boxes. At this point of time, you can only select or deselect all projects, all collaborators, all tags (etc.) the main/template task has. Why not make it much more flexible? Under “projects” you should be able to x (remove) not none or all, but the ones you wish. On my screenshot, you’ll see a template task shared in 3 projects - but I can’t create duplicate into “just” 1 or 2 of those. Only 0 or 3.

Under collaborators, you should be able to at least select or deselect which one of the collaborators for the original task you wish to be notified by the duplicate. You could make the same argument for subtasks (maybe if there’s a limited number of subtasks), attachments, and tags.

I would say projects, tags and collaborators are definitely the three big ones.

It is of course easy to edit projects, collaborators, tags etc. after creating the duplicate - but the point is that it is quite difficult and very error-prone to rely on your whole team understanding a) the significance of ticking/unticking these boxes and b) how to “clean up” the task set up after duplicating. We have so many duplicates suddenly present in the wrong projects, having the wrong tags, or not being followed up on because no collaborators where notified.

I pray to the Asana Gods that this duplication feature will be upgraded soon!

:slight_smile:

Screenshot 2021-02-05 at 11.25.28

You copy templates by using the duplicate feature? You don’t “Use a template” to create a new project?

Or maybe what you need is the concept of task template, isn’t it?

Yes, I am not speaking about template projects (which we don’t really use either). I mean task templates which we use a lot. So we duplicate tasks all the time.

1 Like

Hi @Andreas_Loftager!

I’m happy to announce we’re launching Task Templates! :tada: Please find more details in our recent announcement:

We hope you enjoy this update, and we look forward to your feedback! :slight_smile:

2 Likes