Duplicating Tasks across projects (Internal vs Client Facing

Hey Asana-ites!

I have been struggling with this for a while and I’m hoping someone here can help me.

We have client-facing “Shared” Projects, here clients can put in requests, I (as PM) can ask them Q’s, send them work to review, etc.

We then have internal projects for each client broken down by department, where the team can have their recurring tasks, personal notes and other client-related work. See the example of our Team Structure below:

CLIENT ABC
|-- Client ABC Shared Dashboard
|-- SEO Client ABC
|-- Paid Client ABC
|-- HubSpot ABC

The thing that I am struggling with is, as we’ve got more and more clients using Asana with us, the number of client requests that I am having to add to internal boards is increasing, and since I am only human things are being missed, which isn’t good!

I am looking to automatically recreate a client request on the internal projects HOWEVER I DO NOT want to just add another project to the existing client request because:

1. Internally we need to discuss hours/budget/capacity and the client should not be privy to this.
  2. We need to discuss approach etc and the client shouldn’t see our internal discussion,
  3. finally, the last thing I want is some a team member to give out about something and the client sees it.

So, does anyone know if there is a way to replicate either within asana or via a third-party tool onto another project?

I know this is a funny one but I’m hoping someone here has a similar setup :slight_smile: thanks so much in advance

I’ve been asking this same question and haven’t found an answer as of yet. The two options below are all I’ve been able to figure out:

1. You can copy a task and then move it to a different project so you make sure you capture all of the information provided by the client. However, this doesn’t really solve your manual problem.

2. You can create an automatic rule to have a task added to another project and then (manually) remove the client facing project tag from that task. There is still a manual problem here though and the risk that someone will start commenting before it gets removed from the client facing project is a problem.

I haven’t been able to figure out how to automatically copy a task into another project or move it to another project and decouple it from the first as I’d love to be able to do that. Hopefully someone else will be able to give more insight.

Well, I’m glad I’m not the only person who’s trying to do this, I was starting to think that I was mad and that there was a far easier way of working as anything I read seems to have it sussed!

My boss is considering using Zapier to copy tasks from the Client Facing Projects into Google sheets and then another Zap to add them back into Asana under the internal projects!! :joy: I think we’re losing the plot!

But yes, as you said, hopefully, someone else has some sort of a workaround!