Duplicate tasks without the word "duplicate"

Hello, is it possible to duplicate a task without automatically adding the word “duplicate” in front of the task?
thank you

3 Likes

There are a couple ways that this can be done:

1. Multihoming tasks
  1. You can copy and paste tasks directly into a project
  • This involves a little more tedious work, because when you copy and paste tasks they do not inherit their fields. You can set up rules in your project that say “when a task is added to this project, add a custom field” to make your life easier.

There are other possibilities as well:

Make a Task template and use that whenever you need to create a duplicate task
Make a new Project and collect all Tasks which are used often

If by “duplicate” you just mean to add it to another project → multihoming is the way!

Hello, thank you but I’m not sure these would work… I duplicate tasks within the same project. Making templates will not work as it will require to do dozens of templates since I only duplicate very specific tasks that don’t repeat often.
My working process is as follows, I’m inside a project that has very specific tasks and I duplicate them individually to place them in different days of the month. But those specific tasks are not repeated in the future. Are only repeated once or twice. So making templates wouldn’t work . It’s just very annoying to have to remove the word duplicate every single time…

Hello, thank you but I’m not sure these would work… I duplicate tasks within the same project. Making templates will not work as it will require to do dozens of templates since I only duplicate very specific tasks that don’t repeat often.
My working process is as follows, I’m inside a project that has very specific tasks and I duplicate them individually to place them in different days of the month. But those specific tasks are not repeated in the future. Are only repeated once or twice. So making templates wouldn’t work . It’s just very annoying to have to remove the word duplicate every single time…

I’m not sure if you had noticed that you can delete the word at the time of duplication before it actually creates the new task. It’s in the same prompt where you can select/deselect the criteria you want to copy to the new task. There you can rename it whatever you want in the same step.

I don’t think there is a way to avoid Asana initially adding the word “duplicate” by default, since it is purposefully added to differentiate between the original task and the new one. Otherwise you would have a bunch of tasks with exactly the same name and it would likely be confusing. (I have experienced both sides of this especially if I get called away or lose my place or something, I might not to be able to find the new task as easily. In face for me personally if the word “duplicate” didn’t show up, I might not even remember I had generated it at all. :woman_shrugging:t2:)

Yes for sure you can edit the name, but you must remove it and when you’re constantly duplicating tasks it gets very time consuming. Maybe in your work process having exact duplicated tasks doesn’t work, but for repetitive tasks that need to be done in a project every week, or every day, or same exact tasks assigned to different people, quickly duplicating exact same tasks is very convenient. Anyway I guess there isn’t a quick fix and doing manually seems to be the only solution…

You have been given some Tips on how to improve your workflow in this post. Making a Task Template would still be the best solution for your “problem”, since these are project based and you need these “duplicate” tasks in a project.

Your Workflow would look like this: click the + add the template, set the date, done

The Time you have spent writing on this Forumpost is probably more than enough to delete the Word “Duplicate” 1000 times…

The last comment on your reply was absolutely not necessary and added nothing to this conversation. Please don’t comment here if you have nothing new to add that would work towards fixing my issue.
As I’ve said previously, making templates wouldn’t work for me, as they are very specific tasks and I would need dozens of templates.
It doesn’t seem to be a solution for what I’m asking and that’s okay, hopefully in the future they make an option in which you can choose to add the word or not.

1 Like

Other options, depending on your precise use-case:

• Use recurring tasks that generate as each one is completed
  • Assign duplicates - this one is my favorite, but just requires the situation be that you need the same exact task assigned to multiple people. You can get fancy and create fake accounts to accomplish this method of copying tasks even in a different case, but that juice might not be worth the squeeze.
1 Like

Wow the last advice it’s so creative and it’s amazing how you’ve thought of that! Thank you. I’m not sure that it completely solves my issue but it’s actually extremely useful and a helpful way of duplicating tasks without editing and without a template.

If it is any consolation, I feel your pain. I have just reconciled myself to deleting “Duplicate” every time. Although it may not be as bad for me because I need to modify the Task title anyway as the additional tasks that I need are exactly the same except they all pretty much new a unique task title.

P.S.
You’re right about that guy’s comment, my jaw dropped when I read it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 8 days. New replies are no longer allowed.