Duplicate a column in Boards

You can’t duplicate a column. But you can duplicate a project. So the idea is to multi-home (put in multiple projects) the tasks in a given column into another project (let’s call it “project A”). Then duplicate project A. Then move the tasks from project A into a new column of the original board. Does it make more sense?

How do I “Then move the tasks from project A into a new column of the original board.”

By changing the project of the tasks (in the task pane), and choosing the correct column (arrow next to the project name). The Asana Guide will help you with this step, I can also provide a screenshot.

I have to do this task by task? I have 50 tasks for every month. So 50 * 12 = 600 tasks. I think I am missing a step.

You can multi select tasks, 50 at a time.

How?!

https://asana.com/guide/help/faq/multiselect :slight_smile:

None of the workarounds will work for me so I guess I’ll have to use Trello for this.

Has any progress been made on adding this feature? It would be very helpful as none of the workarounds work for me either.

1 Like

Still no news about this feature? It seems like such a basic function, really surprised by this.

@Emily_Roman any updates?

Is there no way to select multiple tasks and copy and paste them in the list view? I’m trying to do that now since the Board view column duplication is not a thing yet. I’m having to manually duplicate 22 tasks that repeat monthly.

You can multi-select them, multi-home them in an empty project, and duplicate the project :+1:
(and then move them wherever you want, and delete the project)

Its been a little while since anyone has requested an update on this feature request? I’m wondering if there has been any progress as yet :crossed_fingers:
We have a large number of new projects rolling out soon and it would be great to be able to reassure the team this major time saver is on its way. :pray:

2 Likes

is there any possibility to duplicate a column?
We have one board for all the projects of the corporation, every project has the same list of tasks, so, every new project we have to write all the tasks again every time.

Is it possible yet to duplicate a column? I am creating a board with multiple initiatives - each initiative has it’s own column. Each initiative requires the same tasks. I would like to create a column of tasks for the first initiative and then duplicate it for the rest of the initiatives (could be 15 initiatives on this board).

Hi! If you select a few tasks in a section in the List view and then copy them (just with Ctrl+C) and paste into another section, they will appear as a list. It will be just tasks with same names though - fields, description etc. are not copied this way, but maybe it solves the need :slight_smile:
I agree though that it would definitely be useful to have a feature to duplicate columns/sections with all the properties of tasks, and within a project - not as a new project via templates :slight_smile:

There are existing thread on the topic, just use the search