Drag a Project Name onto a task to assign the Task to the Project

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
In the My Tasks window, I used to be able to drag a project name (from the LHS toolbar) onto a task, and it would assign the task to that project.
This was so useful because I would normally: Add a whole bunch of tasks in MyTasks (for different projects), and then assign them to projects by dragdropping the Project name onto the task

Steps to reproduce:
Click project name in LHS tool bar. Drag onto a task in the My Tasks that does not yet have a project assigned. The task should now be associated with that Project.

Browser version:
Chrome Version 79.0.3945.88 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Upload screenshots below:

Hi @Peter_Bishop and thanks for the report.

I honestly did not know that was possible and will double-check with our team if this was intended or not. Will be in touch as soon as I have an update!

Amazing, thank you! I just realized I might have it backward - it might be that I dropped the task on the project instead of dropping the project on the task. One of those définitely used to work.

Thanks for the quick response!

1 Like

Oh I see! I think it is the other way around! I am able to drag and drop tasks from My Tasks to Projects in the Sidebar, and it does automatically adds the task to the said project.

I’m curious, could you test it in an incognito window?

Thanks for looking into this! No, it didn’t work in Incognito. It didn’t work in IE either

(I also can’t drag and drop to repriortize tasks in the My Tasks window, but I can do so when I view the task list for a specific project).

Thanks for the reply @Peter_Bishop,

Sounds like it might be a general issue with the drag and drop feature!

Can you confirm what browser (+version) you’re using?
Any chance you can try and reproduce with the latest version of Chrome?

Looking forward to your reply!

Yes, I can reproduce this in the latest version of Chrome (79.0.3945.117 64-bit)

Confirmed - it is a general problem with dragging tasks in the My Tasks view (making Asana unusable for me to prioritize my workload).

Thanks for the quick responses!

This seems similar to an issue in 2017:
https://forum.asana.com/t/drag-and-drop-tasks-from-my-tasks-into-projects/538

Thanks for the additional information! Could you DM a quick screencast including your browser URL? That would be super helpful to help us continue investigating!

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it!

Hello! Unfortunately I can’t screencast the issue, since it went away after I clicked “Clear All”. If it returns, I’ll let you know.

1 Like

Thanks for the follow-up @Peter_Bishop! If the issue has disappeared, it was most likely a browser glitch! Marking this thread resolved but please let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Maybe, except that the issue existed in Chrome, IE and Firefox, on multiple computers.

Thanks for your quick responses, though! I’m glad it’s working now.

1 Like