Does the 15 team member limit on free version apply to organization or teams individually

I use Asana for work with a small team for a while now on a free plan and absolutely love it, but I’m also trying to get my professional development organization to start using Asana within our Committees.

I just want to clarify before we get too far down the road, does the note on the free plan, “Collaborate with up to 15 teammates” mean that you can only have up to 15 people on each team or is it 15 people in the organization as a whole? Based on what I’ve noticed within the teams I’ve created, it seems to be per team, but if I am wrong, that’s a big problem and won’t work out for my organization.

Can someone confirm?

Hi @anon44605575

I can confirm that the 15 members free plan limit applies to the whole organisation - meaning that you can have a maximum of 15 members across your whole Organisation.

If some day you decide to move to a paid version (Premium/Business/Enterprise), you will be able to add guests for free :slight_smile: You can learn more in Paid Plans and Pricing Per User in Asana • Asana Product Guide.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have follow-up questions!

1 Like

Thanks Marie. I kind of figured that was the case because if not, you can just keep creating new teams and have endless groups of 15, but I wanted to be sure since each individual team shows a different number toward the 15 person limit. It’s a bit misleading.

As a follow up question, you can have multiple teams with those same 15 people in them and that won’t count toward your 15 right? As an example of what I mean. Say I’m on the Events Committee Team and the Marketing Committee team, my taking up a place on both teams does not count against the total 15 right, because I’m still one email address, one person?

1 Like

Hey @anon44605575,

Correct; you can be a member of as many teams as you’d like, you will only occupy one seat in your Organisation :slight_smile:

Hello Marie,

I have a question. We currently are a smaller team under 15. As we grow can we upgrade and add seats still keeping our 15 free seats. So for example, if we have 15 people in our organization, and grow to 17, could we just purchase the monthly plan of two seats to get to 17, and so on?

Also, when adding guests with a different domain name to teams, I believe I understand this to be unlimited under the free plan, but do those guests have the ability to take any action within the team projects or tasks, such as simply adding comments?

I appreciate any insight as we want to ensure Asana can grow with our team as it expands.

Hello @anon85614399 :wave:

No I’m afraid that’s not possible. You can either have a free Organisation with 15 members max or a paid Organisation (Premium/Business/Enterprise) including all members.

Yes they do, but they have limited access to paid features. To learn more about Guest access, check out this guide article

Thank you Maria!
The plan overviews note that the free plan does not have unlimited free guests. Can you share how many guests with different domain emails can be added per account and per team under the free account? This will help us decide if it is worth using the free version as we ramp up, and then pay later as we grow as we likely would only need a few active member seats, but will eventually need more guests.
Thank you.

Correct @anon85614399, the free version doesn’t offer unlimited free guests. You can only have a total of 15 users max across your Organisation (including full members and guests).