Do you track your time?

Has anyone found a favorite time tracking app or integration? I’ve tried out a few and am still looking for the perfect solution- would love to hear if someone has a system they like.

4 Likes

I really like Harvest!

1 Like

I use Toggl, it works great! You can install Toggl’s addon for Chrome and use it with Asana and Gmail :wink:

1 Like

@michielcazemier and @alfonsomoure thanks for the suggestions. Do you use them to track time on your personal task list as well, or just for team projects? And what increments do you use?

For my personal tasks, I think I’ve settled on 15 minute increments, but I’m wondering what the best practice is.

Also- I just saw an email for Toggl’s new beta app- have you tried it yet, Alfonso?

Harvest is great, however I’ve really taken a shine to Everhour as it gives time reports in the task itself and uses a chrome extension, etc.

2 Likes

I’ve used Toggl and switched to Harvest after needing more detailed reporting. I’ve recently switched back to Toggl because the cost of Harvest included the additional tools for invoicing.

Toggl is easier to use, but I’d recommend having a strategy for naming projects and tasks before tracking time with it or it could seem unorganized.

2 Likes

What are you trying to achieve by tracking your time? Harvest is great for tracking billable hours. Or if you’d like to have a bit more of an awareness about how you spend your computer time, you can check out RescueTime. It watches all the apps and websites you visit to see how productive you’re being on the computer. You can even customise whether an app or website is classed as “productive” or “unproductive”.

2 Likes

How hard is it to build an internal Timer? this really needs to be an Asana feature. I’ve tried integrating other programs too much of a hassle

25 Likes

Thanks, everyone- these are some wonderful suggestions.

@paulminors to your question, I’m tracking my time on tasks in order to know where I’m spending my time across projects and work categories to make sure I’m spending my time in the most leveraged areas depending on my goals.

@FATBOY we’ll definitely pass the suggestion of an internal timer along to the team.

In the meantime, I’ve started using a project with custom fields for time and then inputting actual and estimated time by 15 minute increments on the task. I also have a drop-down category in the project for category of work (i.e. Calls, webinars, newsletter, strategy, logistics/admin, etc.). This has allowed me to track my time DoD and WoW by pulling an export of the project, throwing into a pivot table and graphing. I’ve attached an example graph below:

5 Likes

Timer is prob the only feature standing in the way of me getting a new Law Firm client to adopt Asana over Insightly (which is just a CRM w/ tasks)

We have been using Everhour.com and that works very well with Asana.

6 Likes

Our team has been using Tmetric.com.

1 Like

Is there a time tracking option that is free? As a nonprofit, we have a shoestring budget (having Asana premium is a real coup for us!)

5 Likes

Hourstack has a free version, and with Asana Premium you could use a custom field to track the estimated and/or actual time spent on tasks. You would then use this field in key projects to input time on each task.

This is how I track my time. You can find out more about the Asana Hourstack integration here.

3 Likes

I’m now using Timing on the Mac to track my time and LOVE it. I actually wrote about it and posted a video here if anyone want’s to have a look (there’s also a discount code as well).

FYI, there is separate dedicated post about the time tracking training at https://forum.asana.com/t/check-out-our-latest-training-on-time-tracking/4361

1 Like

@Alexis per our discussion is this a merge situation.

1 Like

Managing time is sometimes an issue with Asana for new teammates.

What do you think of this?

2 Likes

I used HourStack for several months and LOVED it. I recently moved away to dogfood tracking time in Asana custom fields, but I would highly recommend HourStack if you’re looking for a straightforward way to track where you are spending your time and want to integrate with Asana and/or Google Calendar where you can easily drag and drop items from each onto your time for the day.

For the Asana integration, I found that using the search area for specific tasks was the easiest way to find them and bring them onto my calendar. I’ll include a few screenshots below of how I was able to track my time with HourStack and then report on it in excel from an export:

Also happy to answer questions on specifics :slight_smile:

7 Likes

If you want another alternative, we use Harvest and have for years. It integrates as well.

2 Likes