💡 Ditching the weekly recurring tasks for the periodic recurring

In Asana, I am finding myself using the periodic recurring pattern (e.g. 7 days after completion) way more often than the weekly reminder (e.g. every Wednesday).

For example, let’s say I want to create one piece of content every week. I used to have a recurring task every Monday. But then if I missed the Monday and did it on Friday, the next task would be on Monday, one business day later. And if I missed 2 Mondays, the next task would be on the second Monday I missed, being overdue as soon as it was created.

However, by using the period « 7 days after completion » I am able to create a piece of content every 7 days. If I miss the deadline by a few days, then the schedule just shifts but keeps 7 days apart.

I find it to be less overwhelming and more coherent in cases where the task is not critical, obviously.

Anyone feels the same?

:fr: Version Française

10 Likes

Hi @Bastien_Siebman
I think I am split on this, because the two options have a very different function to me.

I set the weekly reminder for had deadlines. I tend to use these for things I should really do on a specific day. Count in these meetings, certain types of reporting and so on.
However, the recurring pattern ones are much more valuable when the timing of the execution is not so important. I use this a lot for a CRM-style approach in Asana, to make sure I get in touch at specific intervals (I would love to be able to customise the days instead of having a hard stop after a set number of days, even if I think Asana just added longer options here).

The drawback for the recurring pattern is that people tend to postpone indefinitely, and if you miss one… you know how it ends.

2 Likes

Good reminder of the difference in functionality. I am more the periodically type of guy. :smiley:

1 Like