Display subtasks on List view when project is filtered/sorted

Hi @Philip_McCreight :wave:

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! I’m glad to hear you are enjoying this new feature!
I’m pretty sure this is the expected behaviour but let me double check this with the team. I’ll get back to you as soon as I have an update!

1 Like

This is expected! I’ll follow-up with an official announcement very soon :hugs:

2 Likes

Thanks for the fast reply :slight_smile: Looking forward for more information in the official announcement, so I understand the logic of the different ways of handling of this feature in different views.

Looking forward to this - can’t wait to play with it!

thanks,
Jason

I have access to it as well! :heart:

Having either the ability to see subtasks in a filtered list, or being able to see sections when in a filtered search list view, would solve a huge pain point for our hardware engineering team: we need this to get an idea of what work is planned for the week. Without this, we have no visibility into sub-tasks. Thanks!

19 Likes

I like the new feature when you can click on the black arrow and instantly view the sub tasks pertaining to that task.

However, this is only possible when viewing the full list without filters or sorting. I would like to have the same feature when having filters on.

Further more , a feature such as expand or collapse all would also be useful (this can be also used for sections )

17 Likes

Seeing subtasks in List View is awesome. However, I cannot see them when in My Tasks. Is that intentional, and if so is there a way of showing them in List View too??

4 Likes

My Tasks view is a bit “special” and it is probably intentional/temporary.

Ok, thanks very much Bastien :slight_smile:

1 Like

So this was a new feature… I was amazed when I found it. I was wondering if it was there all along, and I just didn’t notice it.

Now for the bad news. This great feature is hampered by the fact that you still have to add subtasks to projects in order for them to show up on the Boards, Timeline, Calendar, etc.

I was sooooo excited when I saw this feature at first, I was going to start re-doing all of our show templates so we can build one episode and have the subtasks for it roll-under. But after I built out one example, it proved to not really work fully, since the subtasks weren’t in the project.

2 Likes

:weary: thanks for the heads up though!

Yes indeed the new feature is only a display feature, it does not change the fact that subtasks are not part of the project. Not sure if that will happen one day…
However the subtasks do get the custom fields of the project, so it is halfway done :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hi team,

I love the way that we can see subtasks in the list view but noticed that when I sort my tasks, say by a custom field, it is not possible to see subtasks in the list view anymore. When I remove the filter, I can see them in list view again. Is this the intended behavior? It would be fantastic if we could see subtasks in the list view irrespective of the way we are sorting tasks.

Thanks in advance

11 Likes

Welcome to the Forum @David_Leyden and thank you for sharing your feedback with us!

I can confirm that this is indeed the current behaviour when sorting tasks in a project. We already have a thread on this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with it to consolidate feedback! Please don’t forget to upvote it!

Thank you again for your feedback David! Have a nice Friday!

3 Likes

When I set filter to “Completed tasks” and despite having several subtasks completed it shows empty without even a hint for the user to know.

Project can actually be 90% done and because of choosing to use subtasks everything is under water, seems like nothing done in the project which is wrong.

Hi @Juan_Diego and thanks for sharing your feedback with us!

This has been quite a popular feedback following the launch of subtasks on the project tasks list and we already have a thread on this topic. I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with this existing topic, but if you haven’t yet I’d recommend casting your vote on this post too :slight_smile:

Hi all,

I like the fact that custom fields now cascade into subtasks. With the new view of the main project board, this makes it easier to navigate through tasks details and their nuances. One thing requires attention in my opinion is the filtering feature.

If I choose to filter my project view and select only one option from a custom field, the filter only brings main tasks to the view. It does not include the sub tasks as well.

Any thoughts?

1 Like

Hi @Rashad_Issa, thanks for your feedback!

I see what you mean, this is related to the fact subtasks currently don’t inherit the parent project. The filters only apply to the tasks that are associated to the project. I think this is a great request and I’ve seent this information to our team internally as well.

Thanks again and let me know if you have any questions.

2 Likes

Hi folks, we already have a thread on this topic: Display subtasks on List view when project is filtered/sorted

@Rashad_Issa, I’ve merged your post with this existing thread :slight_smile:

1 Like