Dependency Typeahead Does Not Include the Subtask Needed

Hi! I’m trying to add dependencies to subtasks, which I know how to do. The problem is that the subtask I’m trying to access is used numerous times in numerous other tasks, so many of them come up in the typeahead list–just not the one I actually need.

Let’s say that I have Subtask1 and Subtask2. I’m trying to make Subtask2 dependent on Subtask1. Unfortunately, Subtask1 is a standard subtask used in many, many different tasks, so when I type “Subtask1” in the Dependency field, lots of options show up in the typeahead. But I’m not getting the specific Subtask1 that I need.

Is there a way to ensure that the subtask I’m trying to connect to shows up in the typeahead? I’m getting subtasks from other tasks but not the subtask from the task I’m actually in. So frustrating! I’d like to be able to type in the full path of the subtask, but that doesn’t seem possible.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Julie

Hello @Julie_Haase welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

You can do so by just entering the task URL.

So let’s assume this is the main task that you want to mark the other as dependent on

On the top right click on the URL icon.

Then go to your other task and paste the URL into the dependencies field. This will ensure the correct task is marked dependent.

1 Like

That’s a great trick I am using all the time!

1 Like

This is awesome! Thank you so much!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.