Dependency - Finding rightful task quicker & without mistakes

Context:
Working on templates to enable quicker project setup, dependencies ensure our workflow is following a logical path and that no work is forgotten.
When setting up dependencies, “recommended tasks” are popping up.

Issue:
It happens very often that tasks appearing are not related to the current template and leads to wrong dependency setup. The beginning of the project name is indeed appearing but in case the name being too long, just luck decides if the dependency is the right on. See example below.
Screenshot 2021-05-18 at 18.01.45|690x448

Question/Solution:
How can we identify better the rightful task we want to link?
Subtasks are even more of a challenge as the name of the project is not even appearing.

My tip for now is to change the beginning of the name while changing all the dependencies with non-logical letters (e.g. DED) so they can be easily identified.

Are there any less manual work demanding solutions as I need to change name to setup dependencies and again after my correction is done?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Hi @Fabien_Cuntreri, great question!

The most efficient way to link a dependent task is to copy and paste the URL of the task you wish to link in the dependency search bar, instead of typing the name of the task. This means only the task you have pasted will show! :slight_smile:

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My suggestion would be to click on the newly added dependent task to make sure it is the right one. And then click on the original task to be back where you started.

Hi @Rebecca_McGrath ,
What a great tip you shared! I just tested and it works perfectly for tasks + subtasks :slightly_smiling_face:

Are there any way in settings to control what is displayed first/last so we can make sure for example: 1st displayed task = task from project?
This wouldn’t solve the problem if 2 tasks from 1 section start with the same naming though.

Between the classic functionality and this, it should do the job, thanks again!

@Bastien_Siebman
Indeed I’m always controlling my dependencies to ensure it’s not liking to another project since I found common mistakes. More that I want to prevent trying out 4 different tasks before finding the right one :wink:

1 Like

HI @Fabien_Cuntreri, glad to hear the tip works for you! At this time, it’s not possible to control what tasks show in the dependency list but I’ll be sure to keep you posted if this changes! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.