DATE - Custom Field Type

All I’ve found is the feedback page to vote on:

Feel free to toss your vote into the ring! :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you, Will! I did press the VOTE button. However, for a feature request that seems to have been around since 2017(!) and is still not included, is there any possibility of seeing it live in the next 5 years? :thinking:

That is an unanswerable question. Asana does not provide feature lookaheads, and their development priorities don’t map closely to forum requests.

1 Like

Thanks, Stephanie. That’s such a pity though.

Hi @Kausik_Datta,

FYI while it won’t get you an actual date-format field as is being requested here (and rightly so), you can get a task’s completed date automatically populated on completion with our Flowsana integration, by creating a Flowsana rule of “When a task is completed, set its custom field X [where X is whatever you choose to call your completed date field] to a value of {task.CompletionDate}”. You can choose how you want that date formatted, but it will be in a text field since, as discussed here, there are no date-type custom fields yet.

I would like to use some date fields in my portfolio overview.
In our case it are dates that the PM reports out “next milestone” “start date of this milestone”

Below is a printscreen of what our CIO would love to be present in the portfolio for the bigger projects. He needs to follow up on 100+ projects

So having a custom date field to be used in portfolio would help a lot

3 Likes

Please add this feature :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

+1 for this feature. Our team would use this on every task, every day.

1 Like

Wow, this is a huge oversight. We have projects with multiple deliverables from multiple stakeholders, as it seems almost anyone working on large scale projects would. Subtasks are not always the way to go- I want a calendar view to show all of the tasks. An import is creating single select fields for each date, which is hardly what I want.

I also don’t want to ask my stakeholders to use Airtable, which DOES allow this feature, and where one sub-team is doing research.

1 Like

To anyone else having this trouble, my understanding is that Clickup and Monday don’t have this issue.

I’m ready to sign on to business with Asana, but for a fundamental feature like DATE to be sitting in the todo list for half a decade, I don’t see any alternative than to take my business elsewhere.

It’s not surprising that they can’t prioritise this given that they don’t have a DATE field in their own project management suite.

1 Like

Is there any update on this - i thought I was going crazy when I noticed this was not available. How can we not have a custom date field option? For instance, we create a task, and there are 4 task related dates, none of which have anything to do with a due date.

2 Likes

Same here @Jim_Boyle

I am trying hard to understand why this is not available…

It would enable duration calculation, delay calculation, set start and finish…

I can’t believe there’s even need for us to be saying it here…
Come on Asana team, help us out.

2 Likes

As a new paid subscriber, I was very surprised to find this out. I’m even more shocked that this has been requested since 2017 and is still not implemented… five years later. There must be some kind of technical limitation, but I don’t understand why there would be.

4 Likes

Yeah, I felt the same.

My solution to this issue is just to use a text field, and then train users on how to format the field YYYY-MM-DD so an A-Z sort is also a chronologic sort. The screenshot show the result of a Sort (Within Sections) on the “Target Date” text field.

The downsides are:

1. the discipline needed (I’ve added a Help section right in the project to cover this, and I check occasionally and fix anything misformatted)
  2. the fact that a text date can’t be used in a Calendar or any other Date-specific view or operation

2 Likes

And also Z-A sorting is not possible which creates massive issues for trying to use the data once its there.

Well, for my particular use case, it’s actually working OK, at kind of a C+ level.

As a general capability, it’s lamentable.

I have decided that I either cope with Asana as it IS (not how I think/know it should be), or I lead my organization away from Asana. Any efforts to educate and enlighten the Asana leadership (“date fields are useful in a project management system!”) seem a poor use of time.

3 Likes

+1

How we still do not have this field in 2022 baffles me.

4 Likes

Hi, having this issue also. The basic functionality isn’t there, nor can I have one date rely on another one set. Even just an auto-generated date field from the date field would be fine in my case. What was the reasons for not including this? It must be technical given how popular this is. You will love yourselves if you rewrite legacy code, if that’s the problem. Management should take that into consideration for the type of growth I’ve seen Asana go through! It could grow more, but there’s more competition too. It might tie things up for a bit, but the flexibility is so worthwhile.

Totally. We are actively looking to leave the platform and are trying to find creative solutions in the meantime, Thanks for posting. The more you post the more clear it is that this and Task Templates being unmanageable globally and limited to 10 is a massive probIem.