DATE - Custom Field Type

I totally agree with everyone here. Asana, please provide us a custom date field. Dates added in text fields cannot be accurately used for custom reporting and comparison purposes.

3 Likes

Yes - ideally launched in tandem with creation date, completion date, or similar metadata thatā€™s already captured, just invisible until exported or manually reviewing task history.

1 Like

Just looking for an update on this ā€¦

3 Likes

Also STILL waiting for an update on this, Also a TIME picker is needed as well!

3 Likes

Still waiting, maybe 2022 is the magic year! Does Asana only have 1 dev who works part time? Lmk if you need a resume lol

7 Likes

A custom date field would be helpful and I am hoping that custom dates could be used as filters in dashboard reports.

2 Likes

Also requesting this feature, please ā€¦

Please add the ability to add a custom date field in task lists. This would be in addition to the existing ā€œDue dateā€ field.

Iā€™ll be switching my company to a different platform (ie Monday) until something like this is addressed. Itā€™s amazing that such a vital feature has been completely ignored and overlooked, and it scares me that there are other obvious features under the cover that Asana simply doesnā€™t have the time to implement (or is it arrogance?). After reading this thread and experiencing the pains myself of not having common sense custom field types (especially when they have the date picker build into their own data field that we cannot control/duplicate). I hope Dustin Moskovitz is ok knowing heā€™s losing market share to new entrants that are more agile that his company. Perhaps its time the internal asana team dogfood their own system? Or maybe thatā€™s the problem. If they are using asana for software, they donā€™t have the ability to track dates in their system, maybe they have no idea that this feature has been missing for 4 years.

3 Likes

New to Asana, and within first day of using I already stumbled on this missing. Super disappointing to see this has been requested for 4 years by this many users and the team hasnā€™t delivered.

3 Likes

Cannot believe this functionality is missing, given how many people use Asana for project management. I want fields for when I expect to start and finish tasks and track that against when they were actually started and finished to understand how projects are tracking against expected deadlines.

2 Likes

Adding my vote on this topic as well. At the very least, given there are start dates on tasks, there should be a standard field for start dates. The combination of the start and due date in one column provides a cluttered experience and an associated lack of clarity. Thank you.

2 Likes

Is this seriously not part of the suite.

This is a request for FOUR YEARS. A start date and end date. This is as easy as ot gets - think about how easy this is to build a GANTT in Google Sheets.

Iā€™m amazed that simple functionality is so often breezed over at these startups as every employee aims to make a big splash. Delivering an ability to see a start and an end date is as critical as it gets, specifically within marketing orgs or UX that are trying to run tests for specific periods of time.

Iā€™m honestly in shock that this goes back so far and nothing but empty promises from the Asana team responding. You can do better than this.

2 Likes

Our company runs on asana for PM but we are giving serious thought to switching for this one issue. Itā€™s a huge issue for us. I canā€™t understand why this is still pending and my CEO is on the warpath for us to change all our processes to address this with a new platform. PLEASE give us the ability to use custom dates - I love asana otherwise!

1 Like

I havenā€™t seen a recent posting and Iā€™m very new to this software. I need to be able to create a custom date formatted field to set a ā€œfollow upā€ date. If Iā€™m waiting on a response from someone, I need to be able to flag it so it doesnā€™t fall off the radar. Iā€™ve been using Due Date field because follow up is much more critical for my needs but, obviously, that causes bigger problems from a management and stakeholder review situation.

1 Like

You should join the discussion there DATE - Custom Field Type

I registered for the forums, for the express purpose of supporting this thread. I was honestly confused at first - I thought I was doing something wrong, that it couldnā€™t possibly be the case that a task could only have a single date categoryā€¦but I guess not.

Having PM software without Start/End dates, is like having a word processor without spell check. This is just a basic component of what the product is intended for.

Please fix this. Please allow for date-based custom fields.

In the spirit of being constructive, here is another possible fix: if it is truly too difficult to create an additional custom field type, simply allow for a custom field that displays existing data from the ā€œtask history.ā€ I.e., when you are in the ā€œtask screen,ā€ you can see when a task was created, and when it was completed (along with all of the other changes made over time). If you could just make it so that data, which is already being calculated, could simply appear in the project screen, that would still be a huge step forward, and wouldnā€™t require substantial programming work - itā€™s simply displaying information thatā€™s already being calculated. While this is not ideal, it would still be a vast improvement over the current state.

5 Likes

Wow. Bastien directed me to this thread and Iā€™m completely surprised that this thread has been going on for years! Because of the sheer volume of comments, I havenā€™t even checked if any of the Asana team has weighed in lately. As someone who just started trialing this a week ago, thatā€™s not much of a feel good user feeling for the future functionality roadmap.

4 Likes

I also joined forums just to weigh in on this thread! Completely agree, Stephen.

Adding a custom date field seems integral to project management and allows for the flexibility that some tasks just have multiple dates associated with it.

Iā€™m trying to build out a ā€œdeadlineā€ and a ā€œfiled dateā€ on as single task; not only am I unable to rename the ā€œdue dateā€ header, but Iā€™m also unable to create a custom date field. Super frustrating issue considering the fix clearly has backing by users and doesnā€™t seem immeasurably difficult.

3 Likes

I just joined Asanaā€“shocked this top-priority feature is missing. Mind blowing; already looking at alternatives.

5 Likes