Custom numeric field with Time format hh:mm (add a duration type field, apart from Time tracking fields)

I’d really like to see a time format added to custom numeric fields so we can enter hh:mm totals to the custom fields and have them added up at the bottom (we use them to record how much time was spent on each task against a set hours retainer, and how many hrs we have left in that month. we’re currently muddling through by converting hours and minutes to a decimal - but it’s not ideal.

1 Like

Hi @Martine_Warburton, welcome to the Asana Community Forum! I’ve your feedback to our #productfeedback category to allow other users to upvote for this feature.

The way to achieve this at the moment is to create a number-type custom field to hold your estimated hours. You can see the “Costing” example in the Asana Guide here for more details.

1 Like

Thanks Emily. Yes we are using the custom number field currently but as it’s decimals it’s hard to enter say 1hr 23mins without getting a calculator out.

2 Likes

Hello,
I’ve seen that asana is able to create a “time” for “actual time”, something related to time tracking.
Is it that complex to allow us to use it for other fields?
I need a field to estimate workload, I can work with numbers but since you have the field what’s the point of not allowing all to use it?

I am not sure what your question refers to. Do you have access to the new time tracking custom field yet?

Yes I’ve access, and it’s a HH:MM field.
I would be lovely to have it despite using the built in time tracker. that is a Business Feature.
I’ve the trial, but i’m going to have pro account since I don’t need any of the business feature.
However, the time would be handy.

Hi, searching for exactly this, ran into this older Entry. Not sure if it has been answered elsewhere in the meantime.
What I need is a custom filed exactly like “Estimated Time” which is of Type “Duration” and format “hh:mm”. But when I try to create a custom filed the Type “Duration” is not available. Not a big deal to add this I hope?

1 Like

Yeah I’m also searching for this. The reason is that we get an “Estimated time” field added by Asana, but we do estimates in an interval “happy path estimate” and “multi-hitch estimate” (describing the estimates if everything went well, and if there were multiple issues". Same as Raoul, when I try to add a custom field there’s no option for “Duration” as the field type?

1 Like

Has anyone suggested a “time-keeping” field type for custom fields? This would be identical to the estimate/actual-time fields that are built-in for Asana. This way we can add fields for all kind of time keeping that my team would want to track for a single task.

Hey @samholmes,

I have merged your post into an existing one. Don‘t forget to leave your vote at the top of this thread.

This is really needed!

Still needed!

come on we need this feature