Custom Fields in My Tasks

I would like to give my 20 cents here.

I think Asana know just as we do that My Tasks needs a major redesign and overhaul. They are using it also every day.

I have a feeling however that the more additional features they add to My Tasks the more they devalue the Business Tier. At the end if you have custom fields in My Tasks you are 50% there with Workload. Yes not automation and nice graphics, but this is the one place where you can manage tasks per person.

Also Asana is trying to do something I do not understand at all and this is to optimize ā€œreal estateā€. I think it is a major misunderstanding especially in younger people what is the difference between design and UX. Recently Asana is making redesign and no UX improvement. Just look at the amount of free space on the screen and the amount of functions and actions hidden behind 2 or more clicks.

So my point - please prioritize My Tasks change and please prioritize UX over design. Beauty is important, but as long as it is also practical.
My Tasks has so many needs and problems, custom fields just being one of them, that I think a simple adding of functionality will not do.

Also please keep in mind that most of your trials and demos are done on accounts where people will have on average 10-15 tasks in their My Tasks. We always have upward of 70 in any given time and we need a quick way to prioritize them, sort them into groups, etc.

Thank you!
Ivan

5 Likes

Adding another voice to this request! Our team just switched over to Premium Asana from Trelloā€¦ for the ā€œMy Tasksā€ view.

Itā€™s a bummer to see that all of the amazing things you can do with custom fields get lost here. We want most of our team members to live in ā€œMy Tasks,ā€ but then they canā€™t see how items are prioritized by our Status custom field, whether things are Blocked/On Hold, and what department the request resides in/type of deliverable it is.

(Not being able to see a Project label on subtasks is also a big workflow disruptor).

Any updates on whether youā€™ll be updating the My Tasks view, and when?

4 Likes

As the CEO, I oversee a lot of multiple very fast moving, detailed projects at one time. Additionally I have a lot of projects and tasks that I handle personally. I find it challenging to stay on track without using the MY TASKS view 95%+ of the time. However, in the view, the CUSTOM FIELDS are not visible. Please make them visible, as they are a huge part of premium projects.

Since they are visible, I have to create sections in the My Tasks view and resort the tasks into those sections for status. For example: Top 3 for Today, Pending, A Projects, B Projects, Read/Research, Hold. This works as a way to blend two custom fields (priority and status), but thereā€™s not really a good way to add anything else and itā€™s a lot to maintain.

Most of my team prefers this ā€œMY TASKSā€ view. In fact, for the majority of their individual projects without collaboration, they do not set up a project at all.

2 Likes

What youā€™re asking for is perfectly reasonable and in fact, has been on Asana user request lists for years now. I have yet to come across a user who doesnā€™t want this. You may want to search for the huge thread covering this and add your vote there.

Perhaps it might make it to the top of your list soon?

Of course! Actually, it is high on my list, but Iā€™m just an Asana user like yourself. I control Asanaā€™s developmental prioritiesā€¦but only in my dreams. :anguished:

Custom fields are displayed in columns, but in my tasks the tasks donā€™t come from the same projects, and then donā€™t have the same fields. Do you expect one column per custom field and being able to choose what fields are displayed like in a regular project? That could work indeed :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Definitely. That would work perfectly.

Welcome to the Forum @Stacy_Carter and thank you for sharing your feedback with us!

As @Stephanie_Oberg mentioned, this is a popular request and there is an existing thread in the Forum. Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with this main thread to avoid duplications and consolidate votes. I hope itā€™s OK.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback. Have a great week Stacy!

Just want to voice my support for such an idea also. Even if itā€™s only a few custom fields that are common to the tasks would be tremendously helpful

1 Like

This feature would improve my productivity 2-3X! Please make it a priority! I would pay more for thisā€¦

I am looking for Custom Fields in the saved reports too, this is a critical feature to me.

Agreed, but recommend you search for this issue and join any existing thread, or start a new specific one. Because to Asana, these are 2 totally separate issues (regardless of their logically close relation).

1 Like

It will be so helpful to add an extra layer in ā€œMy Tasksā€ list to help in prioritising such as a Priority Field or a Business Value or a Task Value field. `That would help a lot to categorise and sort the most valuable tasks to tackle first.
I use a lot the ā€œtoday, upcoming and laterā€ thing but that only help me to sort my tasks for the week. That is not allowing me to give a value to all the tasks I have, very much close to the Business Value in the Agile method.
However it is so important to be able to focus on the most important tasks that have the biggest value for your business.
Maybe it could be an extra layer or an extra field that is not impacting what you are setting up in each project. A field that is only affecting your My Tasks list?
Thanks!

2 Likes

+1 to this feature request - without my Custom Priority field, I am lost in a sea of unranked tasks.

2 Likes

+1 This is needed asap

1 Like

I agree. This is much needed.

1 Like

I would also really need this functionality. We have standard fields which we add to every project. One important field is ā€œEstimated Timeā€. It would be so great to have this in the MyTasks list. This would help to see if the ā€œTodayā€ section is filled with more or less of hours than we can handle.

From original answer:

Maybe you could additionally help organizations to create less fields by organizing the fields database a bit better. E.g. make it possible to remove ā€œAsana fieldsā€ from the library.

2 Likes

+1 for this feature.

1 Like

+1 for this feature! Would be a gamechanger for our workflow to be able to select 1-2 custom fields so we can quick-view for Status + Priority. Would absolutely reduce additional decision fatigue related to having to memorize that info and/or click into tasks.

1 Like