Create Portfolios within Teams

Our Communications Department has several Teams in Asana. There are times when projects overlap teams–especially our Creative Services Team and our Digital Media Team. While we could create a Project in our top-level Communications Team, that means folks in CS and DMT need to remember to share individual tasks with that Project.

It would be much easier in many cases if we could create a Portfolio in our top-level Communications Team. Then CS and DMT could each share their Projects in that Portfolio. That would give provide a department-level perspective of any projects being worked on by more than one team, without getting bogged down at the department level with all the task minutiea. Usually, one team doesn’t need to be aware of all the detailed tasks the other team is involved with. And if they do need to know about one or two specific tasks, it’s just a click away via the Portfolio.

Sometimes it makes sense to have a Project that shares tasks from multiple team projects, but other times it’s much easier to simply have a Portfolio that shares Projects from multiple teams. But you also must be able to show that Portfolio under the top-level team project list. What I’m thinking is something like this, where both teams are working completely independently on different pieces for our Brock Oyster Trail:

One of the big reasons for this, versus just starting a project in Communications, is because we don’t always know when someone in the organization approaches one of our teams if there will be impacts across the department. Once we do realize that two or more teams have been approached for work–or one team realizes that their work triggers a need for something from another team–it’s much easier to simply create a Portfolio. Especially when there is no single person at the top-level Communications team who has a need for granular insight into every task.

Thank you for your consideration!

Kim

1 Like

One of my images didn’t load properly –

Hi @Kim_Ethridge, thanks for taking the time to share this feedback!

While we don’t have plans to introduce Team specific Portfolios at this time, hopefully this is something our Product team can implement in the future.

I’ll let you know if we have any updates! :slight_smile:

It would save a lot of time if we could share portfolios with teams rather than having to share with one person at a time.

1 Like

Hi @Mia_Lowry, welcome to the Asana Community forum :wave:t2:

Thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback!Hopefully this is something our Product team can implement in the future.

I’ll let you know if we have any updates! :slight_smile: