Count numbers in [brackets] hack is gone. We need it back :)

I revisited this thread to see if there were any updates or hopes of this hack coming back. I do agree with other commenters that it seems more like you are trying to push people to Premium - which granted, you offer a fantastic free service and are entitled to want to earn a profit at the same time, however the current pricing platform just doesn’t work for some people. For instance, I am a ‘contractor’ working in workspaces for different domains, and they are mainly non-profit and just do not have the funds to pay a premium fee. I provide a (free) service to them via a template, but now I cannot do everything I used to as the hack is gone.

The second point I would like to make is that if indeed you removed it for speed reasons, why not just send us an update or write a blog post suggesting that if we wanted Asana to be much faster, we could turn that hack off - and then those who want to use it, can keep it on? It seems to me that there would be many who don’t mind a small compromise on speed in order to have this useful feature back, myself included. I’ll be trying out the workaround posted further down this thread, but would much rather prefer something actually built into Asana.

1 Like

Perfect it works . Thank you so much :slight_smile:

Brackets are back B-)

Just install tapermoney chrome plugin on chrome or if on any other browser select away https://tampermonkey.net/

& install the script what @Vladyslav_Sitalo has written https://github.com/Stvad/Asana-counter/blob/master/Asana%20counter.user.js

& voila :slight_smile:

5 Likes

hi prajwal

I think I followed the steps but I cannot get it working. See this video
https://www.screencast.com/t/EodiHNOG

This is my first time with tampermonkey. Am I doing something wrong?

thanks!

hi Vladyslav

I think I followed the steps but I cannot get it working. See this video

https://www.screencast.com/t/EodiHNOG

This is my first time with tampermonkey. Am I doing something wrong?

thanks!

Ya it was working but I think the asana’s css changed because of which the script no longer works. Hey @Vladyslav_Sitalo is it working from your end ? IF no can you please modify the script, it’s of great help _/|_ Thanks :slight_smile:

Still works on ‘My tasks’ page but not on the project pages anymore it would seem.
I’ll take a look when I’d have time (it’d be better if you create an Issue on Github for it though).

done :slight_smile:
please let us know when it’s done, we can test it for you :stuck_out_tongue:

@prajwal @Jose_Barato I’ve updated the script to match new css and fixed other minor problem that I found (counter behaving incorrectly on task completion in ‘My Tasks’ view.

perfect works now!
thank you so much :slight_smile:
kudos

I also am very disappointed in the removal of the bracket counting. Honestly, if the same feature exactly was available in premium it would be worth paying for for my organization. However, the custom fields use a different workflow that is incompatible with our use case. We have the same pain points that Alex3 describes here: Loss of summing numbers in brackets [1] in task titles - #3 by Alex3. Clicking into every tasks details to enter the time estimate is too click heavy and time consuming. Thanks Vladyslav for the script! I tested your new fix the same day you posted it, and it worked fine. It no longer works today. That leads me to believe that the Asana development team is following your fixes and making changes to ensure they don’t work as soon as you make the fix. Shame on you Asana. Your users want the workflow the old feature enabled. We understand you need a sustainable business model through paid features, but removing useful free features and replacing them with less usable paid features is not the way to win more paying customers.

4 Likes

Customs fields used to be an option but now that you cannot select more than 50 tasks, how can you get the sum of a custom number field of more than 50 tasks?

2 Likes

I want it back too. Literally joined forum for this request alone.

1 Like

Wanted to add a bump to this as well - would love to see it come back.

I made the old functionality into a chrome extension. You can find it here.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/asana-point-counter/oopjkbfegkabjhbcbelbfnbfdgciiagb

or if you want to see the GitHub it’s here:

I agree
the issue is really for anyone who can’t justify the cost of premium and the features reduction. I don’t use ASANA with a team, so while I’d buy a premium membership, I won’t buy 5 of them for the purpose of 1 user. It’s REALLY annoying that it is not offered at some lower cost even if it’s increased on a per user basis.

When the company’s reply to a community frustration is “buy premium,” premium should be approachable for all potential users.

Just want to add that I installed this extension but it hasn’t been updated so it doesn’t work anymore with Asana.

1 Like

Hi
We’re are on sn Enterprise plan, but are still lacking the ability to sum up hours for all tasks in a project.

I have also proposed the idea of calculating project progress based on the hour estimate for each task in the project to give the progress bar in the Portfolio-view a more realistic status. Now every task ‘weighs’ the same in the progress count. All I get from support is the same BS autoreply about forwarding it to the product developers

1 Like