Copying tasks

Is there any way to copy tasks to a new project without having them linked? I have been using duplicate. But to my horror it copies the due dates too, and when I change them in one project it’s changed in the other project! And worse if I delete that task from one project it deletes it from the original project as well. I have resorted to just copying and pasting the title and description which is more time consuming.

I must be missing something, can’t a task be simply copied without it being permantly linked to the original project?

Hi @Suzette_Mack,

It sounds like tasks that were duplicated are multi-homed in two projects, what is causing task updates to show in different projects.

To avoid this you can duplicate the task, add it to a new project using Tab+P to open the project field or by going to the upper right drop-down and selecting “Add to Project.” Once you have added it to the new project you will need to remove task from its original project by hovering over project name and clicking in the ‘X’:

34%20AM

You can also prevent duplicated tasks from copying the due date and project of its original tasks by unchecking the ‘Due date’ and ‘Project’ box:

12%20AM

Hope this helps!

Please let me know if you have further questions!

1 Like

But I want to keep it in the original project, too. I tried this one time, and when I went back to the original project they were gone, so I had to re-enter them all in. I don’t understand the purpose of the Duplicate Task option. It seems like it should read Link Task since they are inextricably linked. Every change you make to once project changes that same task in the other. That doesn’t seem like a common need.

For example, you may have a task that says “Publish final report” whcih you’d want in every project that needs a final report. But it would be expected that each final report has a different owner and a different due date.

A multi-homed task (a task living in multiple projects) is actually one task and only one task: whatever you do on it will reflect in all the projects. If you delete it somewhere, it is gone everywhere.

1 Like

Hi Suzette,

In addition to the suggestions by @Bastien_Siebman and @Barbara it sounds like you may want to set up a template that has this task in it so it will automatically be added to all of your projects. Just something to consider to help your workflow.

Katie

1 Like

Hi @Suzette_Mack :wave:t3: and thanks to everyone involved in this thread!

As @Bastien_Siebman mentioned a multi-homed task is actually one and only one task, so modifications you make on this task in one project will indeed be reflected in the other project too!

I think that @Katie_Reynolds’s solution is probably the best one for your specific use case! You can learn more about custom templates in the following article: https://asana.com/guide/help/premium/custom-templates

Let us know if you have any follow-up questions!