Converting a Project to Portfolio

Is there an easy way to convert existing projects into portfolios? Or am I stuck recreating the projects and its tasks into portfolios and deleting the old projects?

Hi @Katie_M_Brown, I’m not sure to understand what you’re trying to achieve; are you looking to add existing projects to Portfolio? If not, do you mind sharing a little more details so we can better assist you? Looking forward to your reply!

I have a project that is growing into a new portfolio record. I want to convert the project so that it is at a higher level in the hierarchy and have a bunch of new projects nested under that. But I don’t want to lose all the tasks and conversations I have accumulated under the original project. I am not sure how else to explain it, hopefully that makes sense?

Got you @Katie_M_Brown, thanks for sharing additional information.

We currently don’t have an option to convert a project into a portfolio, so the only option I can think of is to create a new Portfolio, add your current project to this portfolio and rename it to something that indicates that this project contains important information about the Portfolio itself.

@lpb, @Bastien_Siebman, @Julien_RENAUD, @Phil_Seeman, @Jerod_Hillard can you think of another workaround?

1 Like

@Katie_M_Brown - I would be happy to help but I’m not quite sure I am following. What kind of details are you tracking in this project that would better serve at a higher level in the hierarchy (Portfolio)? If you have some screenshots you would be open to a screen-share I’d gladly take a look. It might help to see what you are trying to achieve first so I can better understand the direction.

2 Likes

@Katie_M_Brown, I agree with @Jerod_Hillard that without more details, like the nature of the initiative, the projects you’re envisioning, it’s hard to know if @Marie’s suggestion is the best alternative for you.

Larry

2 Likes