Convert Subtask to Task (NEW QUESTION)

I know this question has been asked before, but none of the other threads seem to address the fact that when you drag a task to a project, it now remains a sub-task but just appears under the Project task list.

How can I remove a long list of subtasks from a parent task and convert them into tasks within the parent project?

@Antoine_Palmer, Unless I don’t understand you, this is easy to do.

Let’s assume in project P1 list view there’s a task T1 with subtasks S1 and S2. My understanding is you want to move subtasks S1 and S2 into P1 to become tasks S1 and S2.

1. In tasks pane click on T1.
  2. In detail pane click on S1, then shift-click on S2
  3. Drag the drag handle of either S1 or S2 from right detail pane to chosen position in tasks pane

That accomplishes the above.

Hope that helps,

Larry

2 Likes

This does not actually solve the problem. With the solution above you now have the original sub task and a copy of that at the task level. So it has not converted it as per the original posting; it’s merely made a copy/reference to it at a different level.

Seeking a solution that allows it to be converted or MOVED without residual tasks sprinkled throughout your project.

@Shawn_Kresal,

Maybe you can post a screencast of what’s happening for you when you follow my three-steps above.

What I described indeed does a move not copy.

We must be not understanding each other somehow.

Larry

I was able to figure it out after much gnashing of teeth. Here is where the directions are not accurate. When you drag a sub-task to an EMPTY section, the new task becomes a COPY of the old sub-task, and the old sub-task stays in place, so now you have duplicates. This is terrible.

However, if you follow the directions above, then drag the SAME SUBTASK to the new section you just created being EVER SO CAREFUL to drop it when the black line is visible and NOT on the section directly, it will move the sub task completely.

All follow-on drags and drops will then work correctly. Frankly, this is terrible CX; each drag and drop should be consistent and not create duplicate tasks and sub-tasks.

@Shawn_Kresal,

Thanks so much for getting to the bottom of this (it was news to me), though I think the way you described it is not precisely correct so let me restate:

1. Dragging a subtask onto a section highlights the section title’s rectangle as the drop target; dropping there makes that subtask a member of that project/section (the subtask remains a subtask of its parent as well so you see the subtask in both places)
  2. Dragging a subtask elsewhere in the tasks list shows a horizontal rule as the drop target; dropping there disconnects that subtask from its parent and maks it a top-level task as a member of that project/section

The primary difference from the way you characterized it is that it’s not actually dependent on whether the section is empty; it’s where you choose to drop–on a section (empty or not empty) title, or not on a section title.

Note a related behavior: If you drag and drop a subtask onto a project name in the left sidebar, it moves the subtask to the top of that project (like behavior 2 above).

@Marie, Can you explain what the thinking is behind this? It might be handy once one knows about it, but the UX problems are 1) it’s unexpected behavior (as Shawn and I confirmed), and 2) it’s undiscoverable (as Shawn and I confirmed).

Thanks,

Larry

Hi @Antoine_Palmer and @lpb! Natalia here stepping in here for @Marie!

Thank you for digging into this behaviour and for flagging it in the Forum! I was doing some research on my end and I was able to find a task reporting this behaviour to the Development Team.

I’ve gone ahead and attached your report to it and as soon as I get an update I’ll make sure to share it with you here.

Thank you again for taking time to report this! Have a nice day!

2 Likes

This functionality is now missing. There is no grab handle for the subtask. Is there a brief solution to this with all the editorial feedback?

1 Like