Conversations aren't automatically followed

Conversations are great for team banter and announcements, but people are missing out on the full picture/activity if they archive from Inbox too early.

PROCESS
If you archive the Inbox item, you will not be updated on future comments or file posts to that conversation. Meaning that anyone who archived the Conversation too early, only gets only the initial part of the conversation and have been in the dark to the second half of the team replies.

THE ISSUE
The issue is that it only notifies the 8 people in the Team in the 1st instance but does not make everyone a collaborator. This is the case even if you Like the Conversation. Only if you comment/reply will you be listed as an active collaborator and updated on new activity.

THE SOLUTION
Conversations that notify every member in the team should simply make all those users collaborators to the conversation. People are then back in the drivers seat, and can unfollow any conversations that are bothersome.

I do agree with you. However I understand Asanaā€™s decision on this. After all, they are trying to kill email in the workplace. And what is the worse about emails? Being CCed everywhere and kept in the loop without being able to opt-out. So they decided on this ā€œopt-in needed after initial notificationā€ which is great once you understand you need to add yourself as a collaborator.

Bastien
Asana consultant, author and developer

Too much Noise
I agree with your answer in principal, but I think the presumption still needs to change. As itā€™s only follow-up notifications that weā€™re talking about, which can still be opt-ed out of (i.e. unfollow). In my mind, the beautiful difference between Asana & Email is the ability to leave the room (i.e. unfollow). Which is driven by the Asana user, rather than the email replier (which we canā€™t control).

This issue is in the assumption:
The issue here is that every member of our team expected to be a collaborator, and have been caught out as a result. Obviously, had we glanced we wouldā€™ve seen the button said ā€˜followā€™, indicating the oppositeā€¦ but we didnā€™t. And thatā€™s the crux of my argument.

For software to be intuitive, it needs to follow what ā€˜makes senseā€™ to the users. And for our SME, 100% of our team (of varying levels of Asana fluency) were surprised that they were not collaborators in this instance, meaning they missed all the subsequent banter/photos on the conversation.

If other SME teams are making this same assumption, then this issue will be experienced by them too. Perhaps they donā€™t even realize, as we didnā€™t until a big verbal discussion on a particular topic made it obvious people had missed out on followup comments/posts.

Why did our team assume we were Collaborators?
I believe our team assumed that we were collaborators because of the nature of how Tasks function. If the notification had been a fledgling task; the fact that we were in the initial notification, indicates that we are a collaborator, and would still be notified of any developments unless we purposefully chose to unfollow+archive.

Some of our team were especially aggrieved that they had Liked the conversation, and not become a collaborator of it. However, to tie the Following to a Like would be counter-intuitive to how we deal with Tasks, so donā€™t think this can be the solution!

Note; to deal with this situation, an Asana user has to be fluent enough to easily identify that the notification is a Conversation, not a Task. Which is a hurdle in itself, and any users of low exposure are definitely not going to deal with this correctly.

Conversations Training
The suggestion you make about training staff to identify Conversations separately from Tasks and follow them all ā€˜just in caseā€™ is a real solution, acknowledge that. Would work if you could educate teams to whats happening here. But honestly, its a little technical, and not everyone understood what we were talking about when we spoke as a team about this issue.
Chalk this one us as not enough value in the training, especially considering weā€™ll get new staff every other month meaning that the training never stops.

1 Like