Enhance functionality (e.g., custom timeframes, filters) for engagement data (esp. comments) in admin console

Hi,

First post - been working with Asana for almost two years now.

Wondering if there is a native feature to expand on the company engagement over a longer time period?

I cant seem to find anything in the options.

As a side note: this graph would be good to have the option to display publicly ie on TVs / Monitors / Digital display boards around the workplace.

Only subjective data with no person being shown. I am curious about the algorithm to generate the results though.

Regards

Luke

1 Like

Hello @Luke_Allan and welcome to the forums!

I agree that having extended analysis of the Company Engagement chart would be a great feature. If you have a premium plan, you can use the Universal Reporting features in Asana to create custom dashboards of all the data within Asana and that might be what you are looking for. Additionally, you can have an Admin export data from Asana and use Google Sheets or Excel or you favorite data visualization tool to create the custom charts you are looking for. Hopefully this helps!

Cheers,
Matt

1 Like

Dear @Matt_Dickinson,

May i ask the number of comments added are not available either in the Universal Reporting or data exporting from Asana, so how can I get the comments added like above chart?

Thank you so much
Kind regards

Hello @IT_MIS!

The chart in the above screenshot is shown when you look at the Admin panel in Asana which requires admin access. As for how to export that data, I am not sure since you say they are in the Universal Reporting or Data Exporting functionality within Asana. I am not an expert but since Asana is able to report on the feature the data is being captured somewhere. Perhaps some of the other @Ambassador or @Forum-team or @ambforumleader can help?

1 Like

Hi @IT_MIS and @Matt_Dickinson ,

AFAIK, this type of info is not currently available in-platform outside of the admin console (to my knowledge) for comments specifically. For other things like tasks, you can use the universal reporting feature and/or advanced searching. I’ve upvoted this thread (and renamed it for clarity) and suggest you do the same if you haven’t already.

That said, for comments, I think this can technically be accomplished if you have admin rights and are comfortable writing code to parse JSON. If neither of those conditions apply to you, you can probably ignore the rest of this post or perhaps someone else can come up with an easier approach.

• In the admin console (or via API), request a domain/organization export.
  • Once Asana fulfills the request, download the resulting JSON file from the provided URL.
  • Parse the JSON file and filter for "__type":"Comment"
  • Further filter for a desired date range using "__creation_time" (if desired)
  • Count the number of results

I don’t personally think this is a good strategy, since it takes a very long time to get an export and you’ll presumably want this data on a frequent cadence.

4 Likes